-
Junior Member
registered user
Boot from HD Partition without Lilo after hd-Install
I've installed Knoppix 3.4 to /dev/hda5, but didn't install Lilo into the MBR. I'd now like to run the installation from the HD partition.
I've tried booting from the CD and run knoppix root=/dev/hda5, but the CD version is started. What do I need to do run boot the /dev/hda5 partition (which in turn allows me to run lilo)?
Or am I totally confused?
Thanks,
Andi
-
I don't think the CD can do this. What I can think of is either using the windows bootloader to boot lilo (if you have windows), or alternatively making a boot floppy.
Your install isn't lost though, you can boot the CD and chroot to hda5 to do one or the other.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I see. I assume I'd need to:
-boot cd
-chroot /dev/hda5
then I'd like to:
-run lilo
-dd if=/dev/hda5... to get the boot sector
-copy to ntfs partition
-edit boot.ini
does that make sense?
Thanks,
Andreas
-
Junior Member
registered user
Doesn't work:
after chroot I can't run lilo:
sudo lilo
Fatal: open /dev/hda5: Permission denied
How can I run lilo to get the boot sector into /dev/hda5???
Thanks,
Andi
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK, found the answer in a posting by tx:
mount -o dev /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5; chroot /mnt/hda5
seems to do the trick- not sure what the difference is?
However, WinXP boot loader still doesn't work, even now that I have the new boot sector, the XP Boot loader hangs, I assume my lilo.conf settings must be wrong.
Yuck- long way...
Thanks,
Andi
-
For the XP bootloader you need to copy the bootsector file to C:\ after having run lilo and you only need to run lilo when you've made some changes to /etc/lilo.conf.
The syntax, if I remeber it correctly, was:
dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
My C:\boot.ini has a line at the end: C:\bootsect.lnx="Knoppix"
The procedure is explained at lenght in: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174
-
Junior Member
registered user
I understand that and have actually done so- only the new BS doesn't boot. It's certainly written by Lilo (as the old BS contained only zeros), but doesn't boot- machine hangs.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Andi
-
Hmm, worked for me. Can you post your lilo.conf and boot.ini?
Other than that, don't know
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK, stripped out all comments:
# /etc/lilo.conf - See: 'lilo(
' and 'lilo.conf(5)',
lba32
# Specifies the boot device. This is where Lilo installs its boot
boot=/dev/hda5
# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. ('/')
#
root=/dev/hda5
bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp
delay=20
prompt
timeout=50
map=/boot/map
vga=791
default="Linux(2.6)-2"
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25.gz
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=de apm=power-off nomce"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3.gz
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=de apm=power-off nomce"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="Win XP/2K"
-
Junior Member
registered user
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noirqscan
C:\BOOTSECT.DEB="Debian Linux"
WinXP is hda1, Debian is hda5
Similar Threads
-
By Radfahrer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-07-2005, 04:29 PM
-
By lwsimon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
-
By ocean in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
-
By knulle in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
-
By bigjohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD Ryzen 7 8700G 8-Core 16-Thread Radeon 780M LGA 1718 4.2GHz Desktop Processor
$169.97

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

Intel Core i9-11900K Unlocked 8-Core 3.5 GHz UP To 5.3 GHz🚀 LGA 1200 Processor
$250.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.8GHZ/4.7GHZ
$225.00