In /etc/adduser.conf there's a line at the end that says: DIR_MODE=0755
Try changing this to 0700 (or whatever you want) and make a test user and see what happens.
OK, I set up a fileserver/printserver in my school LAN for my students to save/print their work. They typically login via ssh or an X client.
My problem is that when I intalled KNOPPIX as DEBIAN (20031119) on the hdd I added users with adduser. However, every one can see everyone else's home dirs and read the contents of their files. Is there a way to prevent this when I create a user? I mean all files created by my students are rw-r--r-- (ie: chmod 644) and their executables are rwxr-xr-x (ie: chmod 755). Can I make everyone their own group so they can read only their own files or have the files saved rw------- or rwx------?
TIA,
AJG
In /etc/adduser.conf there's a line at the end that says: DIR_MODE=0755
Try changing this to 0700 (or whatever you want) and make a test user and see what happens.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99
Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter
$74.99
Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install
$174.99
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99
Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware
$89.99