In /etc/adduser.conf there's a line at the end that says: DIR_MODE=0755
Try changing this to 0700 (or whatever you want) and make a test user and see what happens.
OK, I set up a fileserver/printserver in my school LAN for my students to save/print their work. They typically login via ssh or an X client.
My problem is that when I intalled KNOPPIX as DEBIAN (20031119) on the hdd I added users with adduser. However, every one can see everyone else's home dirs and read the contents of their files. Is there a way to prevent this when I create a user? I mean all files created by my students are rw-r--r-- (ie: chmod 644) and their executables are rwxr-xr-x (ie: chmod 755). Can I make everyone their own group so they can read only their own files or have the files saved rw------- or rwx------?
TIA,
AJG
In /etc/adduser.conf there's a line at the end that says: DIR_MODE=0755
Try changing this to 0700 (or whatever you want) and make a test user and see what happens.

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE
$225.00
SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
5 LOT - Polycom VVX411 Gigabit VoIP Desktop Business Phone 2201-48450-001
$99.99
Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone
$225.00
Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE
$149.00