-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't even know if it's possible to bind 2 ip addresses to one network card. Perhaps you meant if each computer has 2 NICs? Even better, one computer can be configured to as a temporary router/internet connection system. Just pop in a cheap nic in addition to the one already pulling an ip address from the ISP and assign a private address to the other nic. Better instructions can be found at www.practicallynetworked.com. The easiest, best overall solution is to buy a router and link your switch to the router's lan port. The linksys brand is fairly cheap, but highly reliable in use, IMO.
-
Senior Member
registered user
you can bind multiple IPs to one physical device, it is just a matter of making the driver answer ARP on more than one IP. A router is an easier solution, I just tried to give an alternative to existing setup. This is a free private network setup and there are scenarios that multiple IPs on single NIC can be useful, especially on linux where the firewall rules can be quite creative.
-
Router
Thank you all!
I think I'll go with the router solution since I don't have to fiddle with configuration files.
-
Windows XP firewall
I finally figured out to disable the Windows XP firewall entirely and I now get a 2 MB upload speed from Knoppix to Windows XP which is more acceptable than 128 Kbps!
My next question is how to configure Windows XP's firewall to accept Samba so I don't have to disable/enable the firewall in every upload session. What TCP/UDP ports are needed? This will probably also help me configure the Firestarter firewall.
Update: OK, I actually figured it out in 2 minutes
TCP is port 139 and UDP is port 137 but this presents me with a new problem. Now grc.com reports an open port in Windows XP. Grrrr... Time for a better firewall or a router.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00