Error is: Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
Ive compiled the 2.6.4 kernel off the knops included config (I went through and added lots of things) and I'm trying to use it with the knops miniroot.gz.
Me and my infinite wisdom forgot to do the kernel patch...but I figure it's ok if I keep the passed args it under 512 bytes. [It appears it comes with 2.6.4 kernel...and I compiled it in]
After debugging a bit..I think it means it sees the miniroot.gz...but it doesn't like something about it. (But it's stock from boot.img)
UPDATE: After a bit of reading etc... I came to the conclusion that it's not running the linuxrc file like it's supposed to. The ramdisk is loading fine. So I guess the real question is..Why is my kernel not running linuxrc. It looks like all the support to do this is compiled into my kernel.
Figured it out...just specify root= when passing to the kernel

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99