A knoppix iso is about 700MB.
rock
'k... so I download it (400+ megs -- isn't it supposed to be larger?) and burn it with Nero. Reboot ... into WinXP. Dang.
Cold boot.
Into WinXP. Um ... okay, it isn't booting. Apparently the bug list mentions that it has a problem with that. Okay... read the FAQ. It mentions that I should be able to create a bootable floppy using a program in the Knoppix dir -- which is there. The BOOT.IMG file it's supposed to write, however, isn't.
Any ideas how to boot this thing? Did I download a bad ISO?
A knoppix iso is about 700MB.
rock
I did the same thing wrong initially. The file downloaded (approx 450 Mb if I remember correctly) has to be burned AS A CD IMAGE to work. There is an option in Nero to 'burn CD as CD image' as well as in Roxio EZ CD creator. Once done, there will be several folders on the resulting CD-R. Your computer will then boot from the CD if BIOS is set to boot from CD. I made 3 coasters before I used the correct burn option. Good luck.
I know how to burn an ISO image -- it burned fine. The problem is that it won't boot, and the floppy image the FAQ says you can create in the event of a boot failure isn't there -- the program to create the floppy image is, just not the image itself.
As for the size -- the 400+ meg file I downloaded was from here, the KDE 3.1 beta. Is there another one I should be downloading?
Yeah... download the original knoppix and see if it works first. It only uses KDE 3.0, but it still works very well. It is roughly 700 MB.
The current version can be found with this file name:
KNOPPIX_V3.1-2003-01-01-EN.iso
Make sure to download the MD5 sum as well and run an MD5 sum checker against it to verify that it downloaded without corruption. The checker should give the same value when run against the iso image as is contained in the MD5 sum file.
Good luck.

Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 120 w/ Stylus Flash Card & Software *WORKS*
$99.99
Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage
$99.00
Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working
$22.99
Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00
Apple II Plus Model A2S1048A Vintage Personal Computer Powers On, Read
$170.00
Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Lime Green iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working
$59.99
Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00
Apple Computer cards Super Serial SCSI AST -Orange Micro ++ Vintage 1980's
$169.00
Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used.
$199.99
Vintage Apple iBook G3 Clamshell M2453 Dead HDD For Parts As is
$189.99