Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: How do you recover Window files via Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8

    How do you recover Window files via Knoppix?

    I just download Knoppix3.3 and burned on CD to used to recover some files from my Win2K system that couldn't boot. It booted off the CD fine and I find myself in the x-window session, which was nice. I found the files and tried to copy them to another folder, once to FAT32 and the other to a NTFS sections. However both failed.

    After reading some posting, I found that I needed root access. So I hit cntrl-alt-f1 to get to the text shell, and type su - and passwd. It look like I am the root or su so I returned back to x-window, cntrl-alt-f5. I open the 2 file managers and tried to transfer files via copy here option. Again it didn't work.

    All I see in the file manager is the desktop and temp icon, not root icon. I think I'm still logged as restricted.

    Could someone provide me with some good details on how I can move and copy my files, as I want to reinstall win2k without loosing my_docs? or information on how to use Knoppix to backup win files. Appreciate the help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    You can't work that way. Each vt is independent and su in one won't elevate the right for existing running programs like existing X-Windows sessions.

    All you need to do is the following in any of the xterm or vt :

    su (give it the root password when asked)
    cp -a /your_windows_direcory you_want_to_save_directory/

    and you are done.

    Please DON'T try to copy(the cp command) to NTFS partition. The Knoppix driver is an old one which even though allows you to write to NTFS, will corrupt it. Just find a FAT32 as your backup partition to save your documents too(or a network share, CF card etc.)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8
    Thanks. I just tried that on the Konsole Shell cp -a /mnt/hda1/cpqs /mnt/hda1/epson, but it tells me its a read only file system. Same situation when I try to create a directory on the root of my hd. I thought I had already changed that in x-windows using the properties options or is this the same case with different sessions have different rights.

    Please advice on how to correct this. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Assuming there isn't exotic setup on your machine, the following command would make it become read/write(after you have su)

    mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

    But is this /dev/hda1 a NTFS or FAT32 partition ?

    Also, a

    cat /proc/mounts would help to know your machines HD mounting situation.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8
    Sorry it was fat32. I type the commands provided and it copied it over to my other folder. GREAT.

    Will this be a temp situation or is it permanent? The last time I copied files to the desktop and reboot, my folder and files wasn't on the knoppix desktop. Strange...

    Would you think its safe to reinstalled win2k with my-docs in another folder on the same drive?

    Greatly appreciate your help.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    you boot from CD, then the things on the desktop would be gone as it is actually kept in RAM(your whole home directory). What you did though would survive(just do a sync to make sure it is written to the disk).

    But to be honest, reinstalling XP/W2K won't damage your documents in general. It would wipe out (if you choose to fresh install rather than 'upgrade') the settings but not your files on the HD. It is pretty safe. Just don't let it repartition or format you HD

    If you are really worried, copy it to another machine or CF storage or another HD. If it is not large, I just zip them and email them to myself on my yahoo account. Safe and simple and more reliable in many case than my own backup

    My general rule is, either I don't bother(i.e. do nothing) or it must be out on another machine or media. I see no point of putting them on the same partition as backup.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quick question came up. I was saving my files and realized one of my folders have a space eg "documents and settings". When I use the cp -a command to copy that directory is states no such files or directory. What would I need to do to copy those files over?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    hahaha, this is what micosoft have done when they thought space in the filename is neat. space is just a bad choice as it makes command line manipulation very difficult.

    just quote them like cp -a "your file name with space" somewhereelse.

    you may be able to do that in Konqueror too(drag and drop).

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8
    The space has made my folders look nice but apparently more difficult to backup and manipulate.

    Everything was working perfectly with the added "". However, I started getting "cp: cannot create regular file ' ... .url' : invalid argument". This showed up many time. Is this because my bookmarks in favorite has naming problems?

    Can these be saved also?

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I have a suggestion.

    get a copy of zip, "apt-get install zip" then zip the complete directory into a file as it would shield the odd file name choosen(either by linux or Windows). That would be much easier to handle. Or you can use tar and gzip too. But zip is the easiest and can be read by both window and linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix to try to recover windows files
    By richpodraza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
  2. Using Knoppix to Recover MAC files?
    By madmike in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
  3. Can't recover files kde partition
    By pboodi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
  4. using knoppix live to recover files from ntfs xp pro
    By katana in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
  5. Recover deleted files
    By scrat in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Apple iPad Mini 5 64GB, Wi-Fi, 7.9

Apple iPad Mini 5 64GB, Wi-Fi, 7.9"

$69.00



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot Of 20 Mixed Brand DDR4 8GB PC4-2400T-SA1-11 Laptop RAM Memory picture

Lot Of 20 Mixed Brand DDR4 8GB PC4-2400T-SA1-11 Laptop RAM Memory

$499.99



Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory

$2150.00



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99