Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Try to install KNOPPIX 3.3. on my HDD - result was GRUB ;(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    Try to install KNOPPIX 3.3. on my HDD - result was GRUB ;(

    Hello to All. I am young in Linux. I have huge wish to install KNOPPIX on my HDD. I was tring to install KNOPPIX with knx-hdinstall & sudo knoppix-installer. Was created hda1 - 3 Gb for system (bootable), hda5 - 2,6 Gb, and ~ 300 Mb for Linux swap. After installing process - reboot computer. Try start system from HDD - result was GRUB. What's mean? Why can't start from HDD? Thank you for Help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15
    I have similar problem. During hd-installation file coping gets to 95% and I get some beeps, but install continues untill done. Reboot and install won't boot. I'm trying Knoppix type installl to see what happens?????

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15
    Didn't work....will try knx-hdinstall and see how that goes.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15
    knoppix-installer is broke, knx-hdinstall works

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6
    I have a similar problem, but found the following workaround. (dual-booting Windows 98 and Knoppix 3.3. Sorry, folks, but we have only one computer, and my daughter, who is resistant to change, won't use Linux!)

    When the computer is turned on, it loads BIOS, etc, and stops on the following prompt:

    GRUB>

    To boot Windows 98 (found this somewhere on the net) I type:

    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

    then I press "enter," then I type:

    makeactive

    and again press "enter," then type:

    chainloader +1

    and again press "enter," then type:

    boot


    Then Windows 98 boots up.

    To boot into Knoppix, I simply put in the floppy rescue disk that was created during the hard drive installation process, and it automatically boots the Knoppix on my hard drive.

    I'm sure there's a way to make all this happen without all the typing, but I haven't got there yet!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by meansbeans
    I have a similar problem, but found the following workaround. (dual-booting Windows 98 and Knoppix 3.3. Sorry, folks, but we have only one computer, and my daughter, who is resistant to change, won't use Linux!)

    When the computer is turned on, it loads BIOS, etc, and stops on the following prompt:

    GRUB>

    To boot Windows 98 (found this somewhere on the net) I type:

    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

    then I press "enter," then I type:

    makeactive

    and again press "enter," then type:

    chainloader +1

    and again press "enter," then type:

    boot


    Then Windows 98 boots up.

    To boot into Knoppix, I simply put in the floppy rescue disk that was created during the hard drive installation process, and it automatically boots the Knoppix on my hard drive.

    I'm sure there's a way to make all this happen without all the typing, but I haven't got there yet!
    You need to find where the menu.lst file has been coded into your GRUB image(called stage2 but don't know where it is installed on your machine). Then just put the above stuff in a text file and put it to the place where GRUB wants the menu file.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80
    I found the following page useful, and have set up a floppy to boot any of the distros on my system, including XP - without the floppy, XP starts as normal.

    You seem to be into Grub already, and the following should help you make menu.lst on the floppy.

    http://www.linuxarkivet.nu/howto/Mul...-GRUB/x18.html

    Detailed information can be found in Grub Manual at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

    Best of luck

Similar Threads

  1. How can I install Knoppix without installing Lilo or Grub?
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
  2. Can remaster, but not install the result to the HD...
    By stuart_b in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:38 AM
  3. Can Knoppix be used to install grub in the MBR
    By cykick in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. I try install KNOPPIX 3.3. on HDD. Result was - GRUB ! :(
    By mike22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 08:22 AM
  5. how do i install grub?
    By djmihow in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY  picture

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY

$500.00