-
Junior Member
registered user
Loading programs entirely to /dev/shm (ramdisk)
The Gentoo LiveCD with UT2003 had a really neat feature where you could load the entire UT2003 demo into ram if you had enough (min was 256 i think). I've been trying to emulate this with K, for example, loading and running Tuxracer from ram but haven't found an adequate solution. Basically, I've just been guessing (incorrectly) in the absence of a howto.
So how would one accomplish this? How can I give an option to load an app to the ramdisk and then run from there?
On a slightly different topic, how would I load OpenOffice.org in the background when the window manager (whichever, kde, fluxbox, etc) loads? We all know that that's what MS does to make MSOffice seem so quick, and I'd like to play around with it in K, but don't know how.
Any help, as always is sublimely appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
ooqstart is a quick starter for oo.org, so far the package is set up to work as a "tray" app for gnome, just like a quick loader in windows. The gnome "tray" app has some normal quick starter features built in. I was able to make the executable (ooqstart) but not the whole ooqstart-gnome package on my system, so I started ooqstart with the path to my oo.org install, and the first startup of oo.org swriter took 30+ seconds (normal startup time) on my AMD K2-400 w/ 160MB ram (woody with KDE 3.1), repeated startups of swriter took maybe 10 seconds!
What ooqstart does is it loads soffice.bin into memory, on my system it takes about 18% of my ram but doesn't seem to affect performance at all. I'm wondering about memory leaks, so I left it up and am going to see what happens with time, if it doesn't memory leak it would be really nice in a work/office environment.
HTH
rock
Similar Threads
-
By joshuabok in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
-
By Knoppixerin in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
-
By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-14-2003, 05:26 AM
-
By glukorizon in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
-
By Nedly in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-05-2003, 02:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES
$85.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD
$87.96