Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: kpackage password problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    kpackage password problem

    I am trying to get my kpackage program to accept my password.

    I am running 3.3 installed on my hard drive. During installation, I was asked to give it a password which I did for both root and user. Now my "user" is Knoppix which is wrong, but whatever. I have tried everything to get root to work for kpackage.

    Also I am not able to type my password in the password prompt in kpackage as it will not let me type, litterally.


    I am brand new to Linux and need a hand.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    Ok, first of all knoppix is the default name for user in knoppix, make sure that the little flag by your clock is US (I am assuming you are American or using an english keyboard), language settings effect the keyboard layout. If the fag says de then your typing in German, which is default. You need to click the flag to change it to english or better yet r click go to configure language, select english then disable keyboard layouts, this will fix it for good. The text you type in the box is always invisible so even though you don't see it, you are still typing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    Thanks for the reply.

    Actually that is all set and I am set up for a qwerty KB.

    It is the password prompt in kpackage that is really giving me a head ache. It wants the "root password". Ok, so I go to type what "should" be the root password and it will not display any letters.

    Any thoughts?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    Oh wait, I see....so even when nothing is being displayed and the cursor is not moving it is still typing correctly?

    Then by all rights my password "should" have been working then in the prompt box. Wonder why it is not then...any thoughts?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    I had mine set up for querty as well but for some reason it kept wanting to load with German default but if you are sure about the lang. then bring up a shell and see if you can log in as root. At prompt type su and it should ask you for password type in your root password and see if you can get in. If not I saw a post about how to change your root password but I can't remember how, type change root password in the search field at top of page and you should find it. If worse comes to worse, you can always reinstall, hehe I have had to about 6 times cause I messed something up playing around. Last time I uninstalled my whole kde desktop playing with apt-get apt-remove LOL. Thats the beauty of this OS, it is so easy to install, no biggy if you screw something up.

    Lots of luck

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    correct on the typing, it wont show typed passwords, a security feature I imagine.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    Hmmm, this is the weird thing. During install it asked me to create a user & password (which never took I guess) and a password for root as well.

    Now here is the kicker, I can SU to root without any password from a shell. What the heck is going on?? It has been this way on two different installs too.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    try this...su to root, 1nc in root type password, it should prompt you for a password, then type the password you want to use hit enter, it should ask you for a confirmation then retype and that should reset your password.

    just curious, how did you do the hd install? it sounds like you are still booting from cd which would implicate that you just copied the boot iso to hard drive rather than a full hd install. If that is the case look this over:

    http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php...review-knoppix

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    I used this as a guide,

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo


    I will try that advice and post back here later.

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    Ok that explains it. I have seen numerous posts of problems with that install, especially with it making German the default language. Everyone I know here in the states uses the knx-hd install. Thats the one I used and have no problems with whatsoever. Look at the link I provided you and skip down to the hd intall part, follow it step by step and I bet that solves all you problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kpackage Problem installing Firefox
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 04:07 PM
  2. KPackage
    By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM
  3. password problem(keyboard?) in knx-hdinstall
    By gill1109 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 07:23 PM
  4. new users - keyboard problem with password
    By vermeersch in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 08:20 PM
  5. Kpackage
    By Madcatz in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00