Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Program info needed.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Program info needed.

    Is there a linux equiv. of windows task manager in knoppix? I'm not to good with the kill command and I'm hoping for a GUI program.

    Also is there a free linux client for the Gnutella file sharing network? Perferably one that doesn't have to be installed and can just run from a directory. I've tried running Bearshare over wine but that didn't work only the uninstall worked (alot of good it does me). Any suggestions? Oh and a windows program for the network that works with 3.3's wine is fine to as long as it is only a few megs big (bearshare is only about 2)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    There is a Kde equivalent of Task Manager (but I've forgotten the name and, for technical reasons it was excluded from 3.3).

    As for p2p, the most popular ones are gtk-gnutella (which you can apt-get install) and limewire (which is a Java application which most people run from their home directory). You'll find advocates of both here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    One suggestion I've seen that I decided to go with, is to create a shortcut in KDE for xkill. If you go into the control center and the regional and accessibility section, you'll find the place to set up keyboard shortcuts. Then just click the command shortcuts tab and find xkill in the menu. Then choose a shortcut, such as Ctrl+Alt+K and you're set. The next time a program freezes you just press those keys and then click on the window. It's actually even more convenient than windows' task manager.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    Then choose a shortcut, such as Ctrl+Alt+K and you're set.
    CTRL + ALT + ESC already does that and for the OP in the System menu you can find KDE System Guard if it is installed if not the apt-get install ksysguard ksysguardd. Also nicotine is a fairly nice p2p program you may want to check it out.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I read that Ctrl+Alt+Escape is supposed to do that Stephen, but it doesn't do anything for me. Don't ask me why, but it does nothing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    I read that Ctrl+Alt+Escape is supposed to do that Stephen, but it doesn't do anything for me. Don't ask me why, but it does nothing.
    That's a weird one what version of KDE are you running.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    That's a weird one what version of KDE are you running.

    I'm running KDE 3.2.1. I don't suppose they did away with that function in 3.2? I guess not if it still works for you.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    I'm running KDE 3.2.1. I don't suppose they did away with that function in 3.2? I guess not if it still works for you.
    Same as I run and it works fine, you have obviously checked the shortcut to make sure? Maybe even change it and go back to the default.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    well I have been useing xkill but sometimes I don't have a window to kill, the program runs in the backround like Wineserver. Thats why I'm asking.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    well I have been useing xkill but sometimes I don't have a window to kill, the program runs in the backround like Wineserver. Thats why I'm asking.
    Have you checked the system guard it will show all processes? From a console ps xa | grep wine in this instance should get the process to kill or kill -9 if it is really stuborn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Step 2 info
    By HOfL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 12:37 PM
  2. Ip info
    By firebyrd10 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 04:38 AM
  3. Cracked WEP info needed for Educational purposes
    By robson8112 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
  4. Cracked WEP info needed for Educational purposes
    By robson8112 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 05:49 PM
  5. Info on Knoppix
    By Suunsu in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$349.95