-
Ultra n00b question
Having just read Neal Stephenson's "In The Beginning Was The Command Line" I decided to get a taste of Linux. Knoppix seemed like a good place to start.
Now, this may be an incredibly stupid question, but - please - be gentle.
I have Knoppix on a CD, and I get to the initial boot screen. I press enter, and I see a screen with the Penguin in the top left.
...and that's it. I waited 15 minutes and nothing changed. Just a black screen with a Penguin in the corner. Am I not doing something?
Here's my system info, which may (or may not) be relevant:
Processor
Model: 1x AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Socket/Slot: SOCKET A (Other)
Frequency: 1200 MHz
FSB Speed: 133 MHz
Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices
L1 Cache: 128 KB
L2 Cache: 256 KB
Mainboard
Model: <A7M266>
5 x PCI: 32 bit
1 x I/O Riser Card Slot: 32 bit
1 x AGP 4X: 32 bit
System BIOS
Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
Version: ASUS A7M266 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004A
Date: 06/12/2001
Size: 256 KB
Video System
Monitor: ViewSonic P775
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce2
Screen Resolution: 1600x1200 32 bit
Physical Storage Device
Hard Disk: WDC WD800JB-00FSA0
Hard Disk: QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS20.5
CD-ROM/DVD: HP CD-Writer+ 9100
CD-ROM/DVD: MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8587
CD-ROM/DVD: Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
Logical Storage Device
Main ( C: ): 76308 MB (25855 MB Free) NTFS
iPod ( F: ): 19587 MB (3811 MB Free) NTFS
Similar Threads
-
By gburke1 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
-
By Dr._Who in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 08:35 AM
-
By truefate in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 05:16 PM
-
By k0rrupt0ne in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 02:03 AM
-
By scottdavies2k in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99