try the failsafe method of boot up (when you get to the boot screen type failsafe) if that works then some peice of hardware is causing the problem. BTW which knoppix version are you useing as sometimes people get the earlier versions.
Having just read Neal Stephenson's "In The Beginning Was The Command Line" I decided to get a taste of Linux. Knoppix seemed like a good place to start.
Now, this may be an incredibly stupid question, but - please - be gentle.![]()
I have Knoppix on a CD, and I get to the initial boot screen. I press enter, and I see a screen with the Penguin in the top left.
...and that's it. I waited 15 minutes and nothing changed. Just a black screen with a Penguin in the corner. Am I not doing something?
Here's my system info, which may (or may not) be relevant:
Processor
Model: 1x AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Socket/Slot: SOCKET A (Other)
Frequency: 1200 MHz
FSB Speed: 133 MHz
Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices
L1 Cache: 128 KB
L2 Cache: 256 KB
Mainboard
Model: <A7M266>
5 x PCI: 32 bit
1 x I/O Riser Card Slot: 32 bit
1 x AGP 4X: 32 bit
System BIOS
Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
Version: ASUS A7M266 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004A
Date: 06/12/2001
Size: 256 KB
Video System
Monitor: ViewSonic P775
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce2
Screen Resolution: 1600x1200 32 bit
Physical Storage Device
Hard Disk: WDC WD800JB-00FSA0
Hard Disk: QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS20.5
CD-ROM/DVD: HP CD-Writer+ 9100
CD-ROM/DVD: MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8587
CD-ROM/DVD: Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
Logical Storage Device
Main ( C: ): 76308 MB (25855 MB Free) NTFS
iPod ( F: ): 19587 MB (3811 MB Free) NTFS
try the failsafe method of boot up (when you get to the boot screen type failsafe) if that works then some peice of hardware is causing the problem. BTW which knoppix version are you useing as sometimes people get the earlier versions.
v3.3
Thanks, I'll try that.
Check that the CD itself is not corrupt - when the boot screen comes up, press 'F2'. This will diplay all boot codes - use the one for testing CD, e.g. if that was 'testcd' you'd type 'knoppix testcd'.
>Knoppix testcd gives me the same problem. A black screen with the penguin in the top left, and nothing more.
>failsafe Shows me a bunch of loading code, which then stops at:
pty:256 unix98 pty configured
And then stops.
your iso could be corrupt. try to burn at a lower speed.
check the md5sum, so you can check if your dowloaded file is ok
try another distribution:
slax
feather linux
damn small linux
mandrake move
overclockix

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord
$400.00
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
Samsung 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800R ECC Reg RDIMM M393B1G73QH0-YK0
$15.00