-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Apt-get on standalone system
--Howdy, Cap. I feel yer pain.
I went from DSL (165KB/sec) back to 56K dialup (3.0KB - 4.5KB/sec) and man, it is teh sux0r.
--But bro, your best bet might be to start ' apt-get update ' late at night, say around 9pm, and check to see if it finished around 10 or 10:15pm. Then let ' apt-get upgrade ' run overnight, and check it about 6-8am. From there you can keep an eye on it, if it asks questions. Make sure you have an idle-seconds timeout setup on the modem, so it hangs up after idling for a while.
--I'm just being realistic here. CD-based debian is by definition out-of-date, and there are regular security updates and bugfixes. You can get around much of the download pain by only doing upgrades once a week, and backing up the day before in case Something goes wrong. This is pretty much the way I've settled into doing things.
--BTW - For dialup, life for me is at least a little easier due to keeping my Squid server. If you're interested in what this can do for speeding up your dialup connection, (and DSL as well) lemme know.
http://www.squid-cache.org/

Originally Posted by
CptKrf
This is probably more of a Debian question than Knoppix, but here goes.
Just installed Knoppix on an AMD64 a few days ago. Runs great.
Am converting from RH-9 to Knoppix, mainly because of whacko problems with RH libraries and functions when I try to download and compiile even something simple. I am totally tired of RPMs that need dependencies that need dependencies that need.... and so on. Apt-get reads good, at least.
I am on the wrong end of a 26k barbed wire and tin can phone line so apt-getting on the 'Net is totally impractical. However, I am told that you can download debs on another machine then install from CD. At the moment I am just trying to learn to install from the 7 cds that came with the Debian distro.
All of the books and tutorials automatically assume that you have a good internet connection and say almost nothing about apt-getting with only CDs.
I guess my main question is - how do you point apt-get to the cd roms? I have done an apt-cdrom add and it worked. The index is in /etc/apt/. But when I try to install even a very small program, it automatically tries to connect to the FTP servers and of course, fails. I can't find anything in the manuals, or the Kpackage manager that allow me to tell it to assume a CD source install. It must be there - I just don't see it.
If I have overlooked a very simple man page or tutorial, go ahead and yell and I will gladly track it down. I have a feeling that I am seeing the trees but not the forest and I am making this too hard.
Thanks all
CptKrf
Similar Threads
-
By gazelle in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 02:41 AM
-
By donl in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 07:15 PM
-
By uerden in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 12:50 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 07:07 AM
-
By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08