-
Senior Member
registered user
Help with floppy
Hello....I am really having a heck of a time accessing my floppy drive. The LCD screen on my laptop needs a dark background for better contrast so i downloaded a few backgrounds from internet on a KDE site. My laptop was detecting it on and off for a while....when i try to acess it i get the following:"could not mount device. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on /dev/fd0...or too many mounted file systems" And also even though there is a file on a floppy disk, if I am able to get the fd to work, it shows the disk as having nothing on it!!!! I know there is something on it cause i carry it across room to desktop computer and it shows there is files on it! I have knoppix installed on my desktop and have no trouble mounting floppy drive. is there a way to trouble shoot this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help with floppy

Originally Posted by
bob58
Hello....I am really having a heck of a time accessing my floppy drive. The LCD screen on my laptop needs a dark background for better contrast so i downloaded a few backgrounds from internet on a KDE site. My laptop was detecting it on and off for a while....when i try to acess it i get the following:"could not mount device. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on /dev/fd0...or too many mounted file systems" And also even though there is a file on a floppy disk, if I am able to get the fd to work, it shows the disk as having nothing on it!!!! I know there is something on it cause i carry it across room to desktop computer and it shows there is files on it! I have knoppix installed on my desktop and have no trouble mounting floppy drive. is there a way to trouble shoot this?

If this is through the icon on the desktop the delete it and right click on the desktop and create a new one. If that does not work then look at the /etc/fstab and see what the line you are using for the floppy has in it here is what I use it works fine.
Code:
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto,rw 0 0
-
Senior Member
registered user
Floppy Woes Continue
here is the floppy line from my /etc/fstab:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
I have tried the suggestions of others and what you said and it doesnt help! I dont understand why the floppy is not accesible. It used to work before under knoppix. I have re installed a few times so i wonder if that may have something to do with it but i doubt it. Can anyone suggest something else? bob
-
Senior Member
registered user
kde floppy formater
Here is the error i get when i try to format a floppy:
Cannot format: /dev/fd0u1440
ioctl(FDFMTTRK): Input/Output error
-
Senior Member
registered user
as far as i understand it seems something is not conected right, atleast that is the first impression (im my other posting i mentioned conectors).
feels odd if the laptop has a boultin floppydrive though. it MIGHT be thast the ribboncable has slipped/broken...
ifthis is the case it is not something you can repair easily yorself in a laptop (if you are not verry good with tweesers, soldering small parts...).
hmmm just thought of somethng. have you rebooted? and do you always UMOUNT the floppy before you remove it, if not that might be the problem, if you eject a mounted floppy it will mess things up some,even a reboot might not fix it 100%.
-
Senior Member
registered user
no change
I did replace the line in my /etc/fstab with:
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto,rw 0 0
and the error i get is "input/output error....mount:you must specify the filesystem type....
not sure of what to do now!
-
Senior Member
registered user
try replacing auto with vfat in the line you gave above. it might work
that is, it should look like this
Code:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat user,noauto,rw 0 0
-
Senior Member
registered user
hello again
Thanks OErjan, I have tried everything an its no use....I will probably re install the system tonite if I get bored....I did have that floppy working fine before i did the last installation. So i have installed and reinstalled quite a few times now so maybe this will cure the problem! Thanks for the advice and help.....bob
-
see posts for the mnt/floppy does not exist
To the list;
See posts for the mnt/floppy does not exist
thanks again
finder
-
Senior Member
registered user
floppy woes
Hi....The problem was a bad floppy drive and a crappy laptop!!!!!!
Problem solved!
Similar Threads
-
By Ken1234 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:39 PM
-
By DrWhom in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By john_h in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:47 PM
-
By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
-
By clubfoot in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00