-
Please help with installing knoppix on Hard Disk
Hello there, first of all I am very, very, very imppressed with knoppix.
I've had a dud old PC in my room for a few years which decided it didn't want to run Windows anymore. No matter what I swapped around on the motherboard it wouldn't have it.
Having used knoppix to get out of sticky situation with my new PC I thought why not give it a try on the old one, and it worked!
Running a Windows XP install on the PC gives a blue screen of death. And yet knoppix runs fine and will read and write to hard disks and floppys with no problems.
So my first question is - any ideas whats wrong with the PC? 
And the second quetion is has anyone succesfully installed knoppix onto a hard disk? As at the mo it runs things like Open Office rather slow which I'm assuming is because its all coming from the CDROM.
Being a complete windows user means that the FAQ answer:
--1.) initialize a free partition with the ext2 file system and mount it on
-- /mnt/knoppix, for example.
--2.) cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/knoppix/
--3.) set up /mnt/knoppix/etc/fstab and /mnt/knoppix/etc/lilo.conf for the
-- new system (Caution: symlinks in /boot initially point to the Ram-
-- disk!), run lilo
--4.) mkdir /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix && \
-- chown knoppix.knoppix /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix
--5.) Reboot, try the system out, fix any broken settings.
--
Is cobbledecook to me (especially ext2 and (3.))
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
-
Senior Member
registered user
though this would be much better in the HDD forum I think I can still help you.
For windows problem see if the hardrive has some weird partition on it. (I have a 8 gig hardrive that for some reason windows only saw as 2 gigs. When I went into fdisk I saw some weird 6 gig partition that I have no idea how it got there. I deleted it and made a FAT32 partition and it fixed the problem.) Also sometimes windows prefers an unpartitioned hardrive so mabye you'll want to go to fdisk or something and delete all partitions then try to install.
As for Installing knoppix that pretty easy just type
sudo knoppix-installer and follow the instrutions.
Also ext2 is the linux partition. Its the the filesystem that linux uses like windows uses FAT and NTFS. YOur going to want to creat a 4 gig ext2 and about 500 linux swap partition (knoppix has a partition manager so you don't need to worry about that) changing as needed.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
YOur going to want to creat a 4 gig ext2 and about 500 linux swap partition
Better make it an ext3 (or reiserfs) partition instead unless you have a good reason for using ext2. If your machine craches for instance due to a power outage the risk of getting the filesystem corrupted is much smaller with ext3 or reiserfs.
-

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
As for Installing knoppix that pretty easy just type
sudo knoppix-installer and follow the instrutions.
Also ext2 is the linux partition. Its the the filesystem that linux uses like windows uses FAT and NTFS. YOur going to want to creat a 4 gig ext2 and about 500 linux swap partition (knoppix has a partition manager so you don't need to worry about that) changing as needed.
Coming from pure windows installing means that makes no sense to me.
Do I type "sudo knoppix-installer" at the first boot promt? Or actually inside a console in knoppix?
Will "sudo knoppix-installer and follow the instrutions" create the ext3 partition required or do I have to use something else to do that?
-
Sorry for posting on here I have just seen the other forum title
I'll start a new thread on there
-
Here's a couple howto's:
http://www.asiaosc.org/article_82.html
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html
I'd make a third partition with ext3 as /home. With a separate home you can keep your user files and settings if you need to reinstall.
This one explains how to use a separate /home and then some:
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~amurphy/linux/steps.html
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've never been able to create an ext3 partition for some reason and I was guessing a old version of qtparted.
-
Junior Member
registered user
This is the most detailed step by step how to I have found:
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php...review-knoppix
Although this review and install guide says that knoppix won't work with an ext.3 partition, I have been able to successfully set one up and use it with partition magic from my windows partition.
-
cheers for your help HD install went fine
Similar Threads
-
By rivendels in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
-
By Crenn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 25
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
-
By aydin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-31-2004, 05:28 PM
-
By BackToShell in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
-
By Sucker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

LOTS of 2 Samsung 8GB (8x2 16GB) DDR5 RAM Memory M435R1GB4PB1-CCPSG PC5-6400B
$150.99

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

SK Hynix 32GB (16GBx2) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA HMA82GR7DJR8N-XN DDR4 Server Memory
$150.00

LOT 32x Hynix 64gb PC4-2666V 4DRx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK PARTS
$8000.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED*
$1599.00

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4-2400T Reg ECC Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH (32GB/2) Lot 2
$157.50