Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Customizing to wipe drives at boot.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Customizing to wipe drives at boot.

    I would like to create a customized image that will do the following and I am not even sure if it is possible.
    I would like the image to boot and immediately determine the number of installed drives ide/scsi/raid and use the dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hdX command to wipe each one of these drives and display a message when completed indicating sucess or failure.
    Then I would like to upon some kind of user intervention keystroke ect. show a listing of the installed hardware like:
    processor type
    processor speed
    amount of ram
    hard drives and sizes
    network cards
    optical drives
    sound card type
    video card type.
    I have investigated it somewhat and think that I probably have to run a script at init and that is about all I have learned. The command for wiping the hard drives seems to be a unterminated perl loop so I was interested in how/if that could be used to automatically move to the next drive when the first has completed?
    Can anyone point me to sample scripts or help me understand if it is possible to do before I spend time testing only to be disappointed.
    I work for a recycling company that refurbishes computers and has to destroy lots of data and would like to do it with Linux not a shredder. We have a dos based solution that works great but would like more flexibility that linux offers.

    Thanks in advance
    Kevo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Customizing to wipe drives at boot.

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo
    I would like to create a customized image that will do the following and I am not even sure if it is possible.
    I would like the image to boot and immediately determine the number of installed drives ide/scsi/raid and use the dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hdX command to wipe each one of these drives and display a message when completed indicating sucess or failure.
    Then I would like to upon some kind of user intervention keystroke ect. show a listing of the installed hardware like:
    processor type
    processor speed
    amount of ram
    hard drives and sizes
    network cards
    optical drives
    sound card type
    video card type.
    I have investigated it somewhat and think that I probably have to run a script at init and that is about all I have learned. The command for wiping the hard drives seems to be a unterminated perl loop so I was interested in how/if that could be used to automatically move to the next drive when the first has completed?
    Can anyone point me to sample scripts or help me understand if it is possible to do before I spend time testing only to be disappointed.
    I work for a recycling company that refurbishes computers and has to destroy lots of data and would like to do it with Linux not a shredder. We have a dos based solution that works great but would like more flexibility that linux offers.

    Thanks in advance
    Kevo
    It is easily possible:

    BE CAREFUL WITH THE SCRIPT THAT FOLLOWS!

    Just add a knoppix.sh as follows to:

    /cdrom/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh:

    #!/bin/bash

    DISKS=$(cat /proc/partitions | awk '{ if ($4!="name") { print $4 } }' | egrep -v "[0-9]$");

    for i in $DISKS;
    do
    [ -f "/proc/ide/$i/model" ] && MODEL="$(cat /proc/ide/$i/model)" || MODEL=$"model unknown"
    cat /proc/partitions | awk '{ if ($4=="'$i'") { printf("Wiping %s / '"$MODEL"' (%s GB) ...",$4,($3*1024/1000/1000/1000))}}'
    #dd of=/dev/random if=/dev/$i
    echo "Done"
    done

    Thats it. (Well there is a hidden mistake; sorry code is to dangerous to post it 100% working)

    Don't try this at home kids!

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    I have done this work for some clients, but more for the datacenter server world. My program inventories and wipes drives.

    Nothing out there got all the inventory data or worked on arrays with some of the scsi controllers I ran into.

    I built custom kernels for Alpha, Risc, and Sparc, net booted, and then used my program to erase disk arrays. I dumbed it down and ported it to KNOPPIX for the PC world. Let me know if this is a commercial/ corporate/ or personal application and I would be happy to discuss.

    I'm donating my dumbed down version for personal use and will probably make it available for free in the near future.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    I created a similary type KNOPPIX.

    It booted up, grabbed bcwipe from my site as well as a script that would parse the output from /proc/partitions and run bcwipe on all partitions.

    I didn't setup any user interface for it, as it wasn't needed for the project.

    BCWipe: http://www.jetico.com/linux.htm

    - Ambrose

Similar Threads

  1. boot knoppix from firewire and usb drives
    By lstein in forum Laptops
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 12:01 PM
  2. Customizing to make HDDs Readonly at boot with HDPARM
    By stardactyl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:17 PM
  3. Recommendation for a Disk wipe utility!
    By freeballer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
  4. KDE customizing
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:15 AM
  5. customizing kde
    By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 400 Computer System  console with Power Supply TESTED and Working picture

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working

$150.00