Problem solved ...........
Went away - had lunch, saw a movie, walked around town etc.
and when I got home simply copied .bashrc from the user directory to root directory![]()
Cheers
rob
While tinkering around with my HD install (lots of updating, adding and removing of packages) I've kind of broken apt-get!!?
Now it won't tab-autocomplete when I apt-get install anypackag..{tab}{tab} etc. And when I remove a package e.g. "apache" all the additional files (apache-perl, apache-xxx) don't get removed<arghh!>
The other odd thing is if .... I run apt-get as a user, autocompleting works fine, but of course this happens:
rob@box:~$ apt-get install bangingheadagainstwall
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
Anyone one else experience this?? Did you manage to track down the problem??
TIA and best regards to all knoppians
rob
Problem solved ...........
Went away - had lunch, saw a movie, walked around town etc.
and when I got home simply copied .bashrc from the user directory to root directory![]()
Cheers
rob

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3
$59.99
Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height
$899.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895
$77.97
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J
$70.00