Problem solved ...........
Went away - had lunch, saw a movie, walked around town etc.
and when I got home simply copied .bashrc from the user directory to root directory![]()
Cheers
rob
While tinkering around with my HD install (lots of updating, adding and removing of packages) I've kind of broken apt-get!!?
Now it won't tab-autocomplete when I apt-get install anypackag..{tab}{tab} etc. And when I remove a package e.g. "apache" all the additional files (apache-perl, apache-xxx) don't get removed<arghh!>
The other odd thing is if .... I run apt-get as a user, autocompleting works fine, but of course this happens:
rob@box:~$ apt-get install bangingheadagainstwall
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
Anyone one else experience this?? Did you manage to track down the problem??
TIA and best regards to all knoppians
rob
Problem solved ...........
Went away - had lunch, saw a movie, walked around town etc.
and when I got home simply copied .bashrc from the user directory to root directory![]()
Cheers
rob

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$44.99
M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp
$32.99
Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00