Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Grub and Knoppix - wot tha' heck?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5

    Grub and Knoppix - wot tha' heck?

    Just started playing with Knoppix once I realised that it makes a great front end and installer for Debian. Works great, everything runs, plan to replace my RH9 desktop with it once I put a few miles on it.

    First problem, Knoppix defaults to Lilo. Don't understand why, but what the heck. Grub is easy to install...

    I thought I had a fairly good understanding of Grub and have put it on Rh, Slackware, Gentoo and Winders. But with knoppix it wouldn't work. As far as I got was the grub prompt, although I could boot by manually specifying the kernel and options.

    Hacked on it all afternoon, made about 10 dozen grub.conf files. Nothing would boot it automatically. Even reinstalled grub on an old Slackware box just to make sure that I still remembered how to do it. Slack booted fine.

    Downloaded the latest Grub tarball, printed the manual, went through it line by line with no luck.

    Then while surfing for some clue, found a Knoppix hit with an instruction I never heard of - 'update-grub' which is not in the official grub manual . It makes a /boot/grub/menu.lst instead of a /boot/grub/grub.conf and worked the first time.

    Ok, question. Where did menu.lst come from? Is it Debian specific and why would they pull a Red Hat and start off in some tangent unstandard direction?

    Or am I missing something?

    Thanks
    CptKrf

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80
    I notice menu.lst is mentioned in # info grub

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8.2 to HDD, no grub to mbr
    By francio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 09:05 AM
  2. how do i run Grub on Knoppix 3.7
    By papwilly in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 05:59 PM
  4. Knoppix & Grub
    By Jken in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
  5. What the Heck cant get online......
    By cowmamba in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM picture

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM

$199.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY picture

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY

$1400.00



Intel Optane NMA1XXD128GPS DDR4 2666 4Rx4 ECC 128GB Server Ram picture

Intel Optane NMA1XXD128GPS DDR4 2666 4Rx4 ECC 128GB Server Ram

$80.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50