I notice menu.lst is mentioned in # info grub
Just started playing with Knoppix once I realised that it makes a great front end and installer for Debian. Works great, everything runs, plan to replace my RH9 desktop with it once I put a few miles on it.
First problem, Knoppix defaults to Lilo. Don't understand why, but what the heck. Grub is easy to install...
I thought I had a fairly good understanding of Grub and have put it on Rh, Slackware, Gentoo and Winders. But with knoppix it wouldn't work. As far as I got was the grub prompt, although I could boot by manually specifying the kernel and options.
Hacked on it all afternoon, made about 10 dozen grub.conf files. Nothing would boot it automatically. Even reinstalled grub on an old Slackware box just to make sure that I still remembered how to do it. Slack booted fine.
Downloaded the latest Grub tarball, printed the manual, went through it line by line with no luck.
Then while surfing for some clue, found a Knoppix hit with an instruction I never heard of - 'update-grub' which is not in the official grub manual . It makes a /boot/grub/menu.lst instead of a /boot/grub/grub.conf and worked the first time.
Ok, question. Where did menu.lst come from? Is it Debian specific and why would they pull a Red Hat and start off in some tangent unstandard direction?
Or am I missing something?
Thanks
CptKrf
I notice menu.lst is mentioned in # info grub

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US
$191.70
Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00