Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: WINE problems/usage/issues - revisited

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    WINE problems/usage/issues - revisited

    I scanned back a few pages, and I know someone had a "WINE" poll thread, but, decided to start a new one...

    Having not used Wine very much, until recently, I have found one thing that "appears" to be an issue, and I can repeat it...

    I have a Win98 install on device hdc1 - a partition of 2.0gig on a 80gig h/d (the other 78gig has been ear-marked for Linux Ext3 FS)

    I have Wine pointing its files to this device, and the only reason I am recently using Wine, whereas before, I would have "never" thought to "commit" even 2gig to Windows, or a need to "ever" use Wine, but, Linux, as far as my apt-cache search has found nothing that works like this one program...

    Having a business that digitizes analog sources into digital cd audio discs - I need to use some kind of "CD Label" program. What came with the labels was an Avery label program, and these labels have such a strange format on the sheet, I have found this program to be the "only" program that doesn't print every place other than on the label area...

    I can start the Avery Label program from a click on the exe file, and Wine will get it started. The problem I have found is that if I change the label, and save it out. If I "close" the label, and try to reload it, Avery will crash stating the "label file" is corrupt and unreadable.

    Here is the kicker, if I close down the Avery program, thereby, causing Wine to release control, and then re-open the Avery program, again, starting up Wine - I can then load the same "label file" fine.

    From what I can tell is - Wine, or Avery, is unable to put out the label file to the disk, and that it is in memory - but Wine is not letting the Avery program access to this "memory" resident file. When you exit out of the program, and Wine - at that point - the memory resident "file" is flushed to the disk, and thereby, can be loaded fine [just my guess]

    Has anyone had this same issue? (is it a common one?)

    Thanks for any information,
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    Hi,
    1. You know, the glabels program does great work with the Avery CD labels. That would probably be worth checking out for you. Just apt-get it.
    2. Have you tried running the program as root? Sometimes that has gotten me over problems with wine.
    3. If it's for business then crossover office might be worth picking up for you. It runs a ton of windows apps darn near perfectly and you could write it off as a business expense.

    Of the 3, I would recommend glabels.

Similar Threads

  1. Firewall problems? Gaim Issues
    By gamezealot in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
  2. Problems running photoshop 7.0 under wine
    By TheTempest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 10:32 PM
  3. Changing admin(root) password revisited
    By mediaparty in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:36 PM
  4. WINE Problems
    By DanMc in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
  5. Anyone else having Wine problems under 2.6.0-test9?
    By katsushiro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99