Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Two KNOPPIXs installed-copy from one to the other?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23

    Two KNOPPIXs installed-copy from one to the other?

    I have two KNOPPIXs installed each on its own hard drive. I recently installed Mozilla-Firefox on one of them using apt-get install and I would like to know how to duplicate only the Firefox installation by copying from one drive to the other.
    I can easily access the other KNOPPIX, either way.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you haven't cleaned up /var/cache/apt/archives you'll find the mozilla-firefox.something.deb there. If you copy the file over you should be able to install with "dpkg -i mozilla-firefox.something.deb". Should, while it might want a update upgrade first.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    There must be more to it than just doing the dpkg because it didn't work for me.
    How about dependencies? Does dpkg take care of them?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I haven't installed firefox myself, but if it wanted any extra packages you should include them as well. dpkg should take care of the dependencies, but firefox depends on quite a few packages that might need to be upgraded. Did you get any error message?

    Just out of interest, are you on a modem or why don't you just apt-get install?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    I'm on a modem so prefer to avoid redownloading.

    Perhaps this has something to do with 'dpkg -i mozilla-firefox' not working but there's something else in my /var/cache/apt/archive/':

    libidl0_0.7.4.3_i386.deb

    I remember seeing this during the apt-get install mozilla-firefox operation.
    Perhaps it has to be included somehow?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You could do a "apt-get -s install mozilla-firefox" to see if it wants any extra packages.
    If they are small in size and you can't find them in the other partition's archive I think you'll have to download at least them.
    If you know something has to be included, just include it in the same dpkg command after mozilla.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by alex+
    I'm on a modem so prefer to avoid redownloading.
    If you have a network with the machines then you may want to look at the apt-proxy package to share the sources from one machine to the others also I believe that squid will do similar and speed up your connection to the internet as well by caching many of the files that have to be downloaded along with blocking all the junk if you want.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    Earlier, you asked for the error message that I got when I ran dpkg -i mozilla-firefox.

    I copied /var/cache/apt/archives/* from the source KNOPPIX to the destination KNOPPIX then ran dpkg-i mozilla-firefox* in the destination KNOPPIX. At first, it appeared to be working but then this error notice came up:
    ---
    lock mozilla-firefox_0.8-5.backports.org.1_i386.deb partial/
    root knx:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i mozilla*
    Selecting previously deselected package mozilla-firefox.
    (Reading database ... 101388 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mozilla-firefox (from mozilla-firefox_0.8-5.backports.org.1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mozilla-firefox:
    mozilla-firefox depends on libidl0 (>= 0.7.4); however:
    Package libidl0 is not installed. <--(see ^* below)
    dpkg: error processing mozilla-firefox (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    mozilla-firefox
    root knx:/var/cache/apt/archives# firefox
    selected locale: en-US
    root knx:/var/cache/apt/archives#
    -----------
    ^* here's what's in my /var/cache/apt/archives/:
    ./ .//
    libidl0_0.7.4.3_i386.deb
    mozilla-firefox_0.8-5.backports.org.1_i386.deb
    lock partial/

    According to the error message, libidl0 doesn't install.
    I tried running dpkg -i on it as I did with mozilla-firefox but it didn't help.

    This is getting to be a major project so perhaps it would be better to just
    download firefox directly to this second KNOPPIX instead of trying to copy it..

    Thanks for your patient assist. I'll use your dpkg info on the next copy attempt.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppixs 3.6 On sager 4780+ help
    By Felman in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 09:33 PM
  2. how do i copy
    By inurenegade in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:58 AM
  3. copy to hdd
    By xyzbob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 11:48 PM
  4. Where can I get a copy of 3.2?
    By jims in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
  5. How to copy the repertory /dev/*, can I copy nodes???
    By gadave in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop picture

READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop

$299.00



READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Vintage Apple Computer 3.5 Floppy Drive EMPTY BOX picture

Vintage Apple Computer 3.5 Floppy Drive EMPTY BOX

$29.99



Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010 picture

Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010

$64.95



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage

$99.00