Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Mouse Pointers

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33

    Mouse Pointers

    Hi All,

    While playing about with all sorts of settings and learning what this linux thing can do, I noted that sometimes the choice of colour scheme and the pointers for the mouse can prove to be an unfortunate mix, which could often use a little tweaking at least to make it all work nicely together. How can you tweak/select the pointer graphics used for the mouse? I'd like the "I Beam" not to have a drop shadow as it's silly really, since you are never quite sure which one it's using for placement in some colour schemes.

    I like CDS as a colour set, but the cursor (while typing here on the forum) is almost invisible due to this colour mix thing as well, can I change that to a flashing block of any colour as I'd like? (I'd pick one which can be seen, whether it's deemed "cool" or not! )

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    AFAICT, there are 4 sets of cursor themes provided. I generally use the redglass cursor theme, as it stands out against light/dark backgrounds, making it easier for me to locate where the cursor is at. You can compile and insert additional cursor themes but most that I've worked with have to be compiled per user, but I'd rather if it could be set globally for all users, preferably.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Haven't looked much at eye candy myself, but most stuff for kde can be found at:
    http://www.kde-look.org/

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    Tiny Pointer

    One thing that bugs me is the size of the mouse pointer is excruciatingly small. The mouse setup has a check box to use larger pointer and it will take effect after KDE is re started. But I have re started for about a month now and pointer still is too tiny to see! Any ideas? bob

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Durand Hicks
    AFAICT, there are 4 sets of cursor themes provided. I generally use the redglass cursor theme, as it stands out against light/dark backgrounds, making it easier for me to locate where the cursor is at. You can compile and insert additional cursor themes but most that I've worked with have to be compiled per user, but I'd rather if it could be set globally for all users, preferably.
    Hmm.. can't find those four you mention, how are you seeing them? - I looked under themes based on what you said, but no luck

    Still no idea about the typing/insert cursor either - a block would likely be more visible that a line I am hoping! oh well, back to the draining board!

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Haven't looked much at eye candy myself, but most stuff for kde can be found at:
    http://www.kde-look.org/
    That's a neat site for later, thanks!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33

    Re: Tiny Pointer

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    One thing that bugs me is the size of the mouse pointer is excruciatingly small. The mouse setup has a check box to use larger pointer and it will take effect after KDE is re started. But I have re started for about a month now and pointer still is too tiny to see! Any ideas? bob
    Changes being asked for, and then getting ignored seems to be a rather regular feature of life in X, beyond that, not a clue sadly.

    Is there an XPay86 etc. counterpart that maybe works reliably? That seems to be where most trouble stems from if you want a desktop, and some of this century's niceties on your box.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can change the mouse theme and install new themes in:
    K menu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Cursor theme

    As for a larger cursor try changing in /home/login_name/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals a line under [KDE] to LargeCursor=true

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    crazy KDE

    Hi...I checked that file [KDEGLOBALS] and there are already 2 lines, one for LargeCursor=True and another for a white cursor.....I wonder why I cant make my cursor arrow BIGGER? Very strange if it is correct in the configuration.......any more ideas??? Also : I dont have an option for CURSOR THEME for some reason. I guess someone up there doesnt want me to have a cursor I can see!

    K menu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Cursor theme


    Any other suggestions////thanks

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Just another idea
    The kdeglobals file is also in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New to Knoppix, need some pointers
    By Otacon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
  2. Mouse problems. Need a few pointers (geddit?)
    By fannymites in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 05:23 AM
  3. SCSI disk not detected by noppix ?!? Any pointers ? ...
    By dayalp in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
  4. newbie pointers
    By diirrttiiee in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
  5. how to make my Mouse Systems mouse work with knoppix?
    By clfest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99