-
Which command is the right one?
Hello everybody,
I'm about to install knoppix on my computer. And I am just wondering which install-command I should use?
sudo knoppix-installer
or
sudo knx-install
...the thing is that i've heard that "sudo knoppix-installer" doesn't work correctly. Is this just a rumor, or is it more unstable then "sudo knx-install"?
I also have another question, 
I have 2 harddrives, but I only want knoppix on one of them (hd1b). I am currently running WinXP Home (
), but I would still like to have that OS installed on my other drive (hd1a). So is this possible to have, without everything getting fu**ed up when I boot my computer? for an example, in cfdisc. Should I have my winXp-drive marked as "boot", as well as my knoppix partition? Hmm...that last question just popped in my head, oh well...hope it didn't get all to fuzzy for you to understand!
------------
Problem #1: Which installation-command to use?
Problem #2: How to install knoppix safely, and still be able to boot winXP as usuall.
------------------
cheers!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I still use knx-install, but suspect I may be in a tiny minority.
The part of the other install which seems to be problematic is the disk partitioning. You could use cfdisk from the CD to do that. Then use the knoppix-installer (choose the Debian option).
There's no need to make the XP drive bootable (and to do so may be dangerous). Cfdisk will let you choose what partitions (or drives) to modify, so used with a modicum of care, you'll be OK.
You have the labelling slightly askew. From what you're telling us, you have XP on the first hard drive (as primary master) = hda, and you want Linux on the second drive (the primary slave) = hdb. The digits after (for example) hda (hda1, hda2 etc.) refer to partitions. HTH
-
I don't really know for sure, because I haven't seen all of these threads discussing particular issues with knoppix-installer. But I suspect that alot of them arise because people chose the Knoppix-style install. The Debian-style install is what you want, and is the one that is similar to knx-hdinstall. I'd suggest trying knoppix-installer first, because it will allow you to name your user, rather than having to go in and change it manually later on (which isn't too hard, but why do it if you don't have to?).
-
Junior Member
registered user
i had the same issue when I decided to install knoppix on my hd.
I end up using knoppix-installer and it worked great.
I think future version of knoppix should have just one one installer. Why have two things that do the same thing? well.. i know knoppix-installer is not perfect.. yet anyways.
-
I used knx, id reccomend just making a boot disk for Knoppix and not let it write to your mbr.
Similar Threads
-
By sunnypalsingh in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM
-
By Drool King in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-25-2005, 10:39 PM
-
By gopikrish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:03 PM
-
By chokosenoko in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-12-2004, 11:52 PM
-
By nighty in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD Ryzen 7 8700G 8-Core 16-Thread Radeon 780M LGA 1718 4.2GHz Desktop Processor
$169.97

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

Intel Core i9-11900K Unlocked 8-Core 3.5 GHz UP To 5.3 GHz🚀 LGA 1200 Processor
$250.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.8GHZ/4.7GHZ
$225.00