Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Which command is the right one?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Which command is the right one?

    Hello everybody,
    I'm about to install knoppix on my computer. And I am just wondering which install-command I should use?

    sudo knoppix-installer

    or

    sudo knx-install

    ...the thing is that i've heard that "sudo knoppix-installer" doesn't work correctly. Is this just a rumor, or is it more unstable then "sudo knx-install"?

    I also have another question,

    I have 2 harddrives, but I only want knoppix on one of them (hd1b). I am currently running WinXP Home ( ), but I would still like to have that OS installed on my other drive (hd1a). So is this possible to have, without everything getting fu**ed up when I boot my computer? for an example, in cfdisc. Should I have my winXp-drive marked as "boot", as well as my knoppix partition? Hmm...that last question just popped in my head, oh well...hope it didn't get all to fuzzy for you to understand!

    ------------

    Problem #1: Which installation-command to use?
    Problem #2: How to install knoppix safely, and still be able to boot winXP as usuall.

    ------------------

    cheers!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I still use knx-install, but suspect I may be in a tiny minority.

    The part of the other install which seems to be problematic is the disk partitioning. You could use cfdisk from the CD to do that. Then use the knoppix-installer (choose the Debian option).

    There's no need to make the XP drive bootable (and to do so may be dangerous). Cfdisk will let you choose what partitions (or drives) to modify, so used with a modicum of care, you'll be OK.

    You have the labelling slightly askew. From what you're telling us, you have XP on the first hard drive (as primary master) = hda, and you want Linux on the second drive (the primary slave) = hdb. The digits after (for example) hda (hda1, hda2 etc.) refer to partitions. HTH

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I don't really know for sure, because I haven't seen all of these threads discussing particular issues with knoppix-installer. But I suspect that alot of them arise because people chose the Knoppix-style install. The Debian-style install is what you want, and is the one that is similar to knx-hdinstall. I'd suggest trying knoppix-installer first, because it will allow you to name your user, rather than having to go in and change it manually later on (which isn't too hard, but why do it if you don't have to?).

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19
    i had the same issue when I decided to install knoppix on my hd.

    I end up using knoppix-installer and it worked great.

    I think future version of knoppix should have just one one installer. Why have two things that do the same thing? well.. i know knoppix-installer is not perfect.. yet anyways.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5
    I used knx, id reccomend just making a boot disk for Knoppix and not let it write to your mbr.

Similar Threads

  1. Not able to use indent command
    By sunnypalsingh in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM
  2. IS THERE A NEW COMMAND FOR HD INSTALL
    By Drool King in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 10:39 PM
  3. Command for HD install?
    By gopikrish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:03 PM
  4. chntpw command
    By chokosenoko in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 11:52 PM
  5. startup command
    By nighty in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 02:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00