Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Asking for Helpful Suggestions

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Asking for Helpful Suggestions

    I am a complete Linux noob, let's get that out of the way first. A friend of mine gave me a copy of Knoppix and I've gotten quite interested in it. Up till now I've been a M$ user and have heard all the proponents of Linux saying how grand it is and want to experience it for myself. Now here's the thing...I've got an ancient system that's not doing more than being a dust collector/paperweight. I figure I can reload it as many times as I want and not interfere with what goes on my main system. Yes, yes, Knoppix runs completely from the CD and won't muck up the current HD load unless I make it do so. What I'd like to know are general suggestions of which Knoppix distro that'd be best suited for my system, running off the hard drive.

    Here's the guts of the thing:

    Pentium 133
    48MB RAM
    2GB hard drive
    8x CD-ROM
    STB Lightspeed 128 (ET6000 based) video
    Dual voodoo2 (SLI) cards (best thing on this thing actually)
    USR 33.6K modem
    Ensoniq Soundscape card

    I just reloaded Windoze 98 on the machine to see if it still works (and it does). It's an old Gateway machine that my sister used for college but she has a nice new machine and didn't want this one anymore.

    So, all that being said, any suggestions for this random goon?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Two things for starters, more ram and a larger hard drive. The hard drive option is upgradable but I wouldn't go for something more than 10-20gb if you can find one anywhere. The ram is going to be more of a problem, I bet the system used simms and those are expensive compared to dimms/sdram. If the ram can't be found for cheap, get the hard drive and make a swap partition on it as large as 1.5 - 2 GB. It's more than most folks needs, but with limited memory and if you're going to run KDE, you're going to need the swap space.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Asking for Helpful Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGoon
    What I'd like to know are general suggestions of which Knoppix distro that'd be best suited for my system, running off the hard drive.

    Here's the guts of the thing:

    Pentium 133
    48MB RAM
    2GB hard drive
    8x CD-ROM
    STB Lightspeed 128 (ET6000 based) video
    Dual voodoo2 (SLI) cards (best thing on this thing actually)
    USR 33.6K modem
    Ensoniq Soundscape card

    I just reloaded Windoze 98 on the machine to see if it still works (and it does). It's an old Gateway machine that my sister used for college but she has a nice new machine and didn't want this one anymore.
    You will be limited to an 8.4 GB drive, at most (due to BIOS limitations), unless you can pick up a used PCI IDE controller somewhere. Considering the age of the machine, the $30 cost for a new one is prohibitive. You can probably find some used RAM somewhere, like a computer trade show in your area. If you are installing to a HD, you will be able to get by with another 48 MB of RAM for a total of 96 MB (more would be better, of course).

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    Thanks for the tips...I was however trying not to sink more cash in this system. I think I can scare up another HD but the memory could be problematic. The board has 4 SIMM slots that are completely populated (one 16MB pair and one 8MB pair) but I'll see if I can scare up some different sticks somewhere. Thusfar, though, it seems this box ain't much more than it already is

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    RandomGoon,

    Sorry Knoppix didn't work out for that system... Usually, Knoppix supports a lot of machines that "Windows" won't, can't, or has been left in the dust by "Windows".

    Shame too...

    If you don't want to keep some of the "ancient" parts of the machine, may I suggest selling them on "EBay" - I am sure that you will find "many" people looking for those "hard to find" parts, and considering that EBay is an auction, you might get a few bucks to buy "newer" stuff

    As for using Knoppix - why not use the Knoppix Live CD on your current machine? You can use the CD to explore Linux/GNU, and as long as you don't go mounting and touching hard drives in your booted system, you are completely safe. Using the CD is a great way to see "whats under the hood", so to speak, of Knoppix....

    When your done working in Knoppix, just tell Knoppix to shutdown, just like "Windows", remove the CD, and you are back to your "working" Operating System. Knoppix was designed for that. If/when you are ready, Knoppix can be installed to your hard drive, and can be run as a "full-blown" Debian Linux/GNU Operating System. (thats nice too)

    Just some thoughts,
    Cuddles

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    How about a lighter remaster on knoppix?
    Some of these run on quite minimal hardware:
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    http://featherlinux.berlios.de/
    http://www.flonix.com/

    The story on Damn Smalls page about running it on a 468 with 16 Mb ram has got me even thinking about putting my old 386 DX40 back to work

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    Cuddles: Thanks but I've not tried Knoppix on that machine yet to find out whether it'll work or not...I need to get around to making a boot floppy as that system's so old it won't boot to CD As for using Knoppix on my main system, well the wife's using that for business and I don't get a lot of time on it; I built it for her to use anyway. What can I say, I'm whipped and any of my friends'll tell ya the same :P

    Markus: Now that's more like what I was intending. I lighter flavor that'd work on an old box! I'll just have to burn those flavors and see what works best!

    Again, to all that've replied, thanks a ton for the input!

    'Goon

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    Grabbed DSL and made a boot disk. It works like a champ on this machine...okay, maybe not like a champ but it does alright And as for Knoppix itself? Forgeddaboudit! We're talkin' snail's pace here

    Now to just get it installed to the hard drive so I don't need to have the CD in the drive.

    'Goon

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have knoppix on a p1 100 with 72M ram and it works ok.
    i have dropped KDE and use icewm as windowmanager, much lighter on resources.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    Interesting...how do I go about switching from KDE to IceWM? I'm still a noob after all.

    'Goon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A few usability suggestions
    By jisakiel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
  2. Few suggestions for 3.8
    By nitropowered in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 06:55 AM
  3. Strange helpful thing Knoppix did for my WinXP desktop
    By linuxwind in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 09:55 PM
  4. Helpful FAQ from Debian...
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 06:01 AM
  5. Looking for suggestions regarding hard drive
    By fhayashi in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk picture

Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk

$250.00



RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ* picture

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*

$299.99



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



Vintage Gateway Solo 2100 Laptop Intel Pentium 150MHz, No Operating System picture

Vintage Gateway Solo 2100 Laptop Intel Pentium 150MHz, No Operating System

$40.00



Vintage Harman Kardon Soundsticks SUBWOOFER ONLY - No Power Cable picture

Vintage Harman Kardon Soundsticks SUBWOOFER ONLY - No Power Cable

$45.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage 90s Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW Keyboard Untested As Is Parts PS/2 picture

Vintage 90s Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW Keyboard Untested As Is Parts PS/2

$16.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box

$100.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99