-
Another horrible newbie question
I'm running Knoppix from the CD. I've been at it for three daysI. I'd like to know what the basic proceedure is for downloading a program and installing it. I assume I have to make one of my drives readable. How do I do that?
-Diver
-
First, a big ole' warning:
DON'T ATTEMPT TO DO THIS UNLESS YOU (a)HAVE BACKUPS OF ANY IMPORTANT DATA OR PROGRAMS THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN'T DO WITHOUT OR (B) DON'T CARE AND ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO LOSE EVERYTHING WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT.
The only reason I say this is because nothing should go wrong, but something could go wrong.
Now, follow the steps included in the Docs. Specifically, the FaqInstall should answer your questions.
For all the newbies out there. First, welcome. Second, many of your questions should be answered in the FAQs in the Docs. Also, try searching the Forum before posting to it. It helps cut down on the redundancy of questions. Now, it you have tried all of this and have a nuance that wasn't covered in any of the above, please make sure to explain how it is different so we don't waste your time. After all, we all want to help
--Peace
-
Apt-Get install programname.
That being said. If you installed knoppix to the hard disk with knx-hdinstall, it would be easy. But to do it while on the CD?????
www.phpcad.com/knoppix-install.html
-
Thank you both so much for responding. Like many windows users who are trying out the CD bootable knoppix, I'm dying to be converted, and I appreciate your efforts to respond to my possibly silly question. After all, the bootable CD Knoppix is already chock full of great useable programs. Basically what I want to do is fool around a little and get a feel of how things work in general. Thanks also for the standard warning to back up everything. I have done this, but I dont want to have to actually use any of my back ups...So, instead of trying to download and use a program, I think I'll start with something simpler. By the way, I have already done alot of reading, but I'll do some more before asking my next dumb question. Wait, I do have one more: How can I save a document to a floppy? Save under and then what?
Thanks again-
-Diver
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Diver
By the way, I have already done alot of reading, but I'll do some more before asking my next dumb question. Wait, I do have one more: How can I save a document to a floppy? Save under and then what?
It's not a dumb question at all. I remember when I first started using linux and it took me a little while to figure out how drives are handled. You'll first need to mount the floppy. You can do this by clicking on the floppy icon on your desktop (or going to the command line and typing: 'mount /mnt/f.oppy').
Your floppy will be found at /mnt/floppy. This is where you will want to save you files. Hope this helps.
P.S.
You can check out this page for a better desciption of how drives work in linux. The site is pretty good in general for linux basics.
-

Originally Posted by
aay

Originally Posted by
Diver
By the way, I have already done alot of reading, but I'll do some more before asking my next dumb question. Wait, I do have one more: How can I save a document to a floppy? Save under and then what?
It's not a dumb question at all. I remember when I first started using linux and it took me a little while to figure out how drives are handled. You'll first need to mount the floppy. You can do this by clicking on the floppy icon on your desktop (or going to the command line and typing: 'mount /mnt/f.oppy').
Your floppy will be found at /mnt/floppy. This is where you will want to save you files. Hope this helps.
This is the traditional way - except Knoppix makes smart use of the Linux automounter. This automatically mounts and dismounts drives as desired.
If I read the (original) automounts correctly, Knoppix will automatically mount the floppy when you change into the directory /mnt/floppy - but that might not be right. Try it and see - and no mounts needed!
Just make sure the automounter is running:
sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start
...as root...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
David Douthitt
This is the traditional way - except Knoppix makes smart use of the Linux automounter. This automatically mounts and dismounts drives as desired.
If I read the (original) automounts correctly, Knoppix will automatically mount the floppy when you change into the directory /mnt/floppy - but that might not be right. Try it and see - and no mounts needed!
Just make sure the automounter is running:
sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start
...as root...
Good point.
Similar Threads
-
By reagle in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
-
By mover50 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
-
By Blackavar in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 12:41 AM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By way2late in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$284.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11
$284.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon gen 7 i7-8665u 1.9ghz 16gb 512gb SSD Grade A
$249.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$299.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50