-
Trouble Starting X
During the hd install, I picked, 'boot to command line' instead of kde.
Now, 'startx' doesn't work
'startx /usr/bin/kde3' works but I get a plain vanilla kde desktop.
.xsession errors says '/root/.xsession: No such file or directory'
XFree86.0.log looks okay up until it says 'Warning: font renderer for '.pcf' already registered at priority 0'
There are several of these warnings when I run startx and then x aborts.
I'm a bit of a newbie at this. I'd like to get to the same desktop that I did when I booted from the cd.
-
Senior Member
registered user
When you long in at the console use su to become root and then update-rc.d kdm defaults and to start kdm from the command line as root /etc/init.d/kdm start and you should be able to login the next time you reboot kdm should be started if not then dpkg-reconfigure kdm and choose to have it start on boot. If you were using the startx as root then you were getting root's desktop not a normal user and I get that '.pcf' error every time it is nothing to worry about.
Similar Threads
-
By cipher_in in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
-
By Rod in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:37 PM
-
By brlund in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-26-2003, 01:19 AM
-
By DavidTempler in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By cp2302 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99