Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Syncing my Palm

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    Syncing my Palm

    I aam running with Knoppix 3.3 installed on my har drive as Debian. I am trying to install and sync my Palm Zire 21 with any of the included palm sync tools. THe Palm connects via USB.

    This is not happening. I am not really sure what to do here to get it detected. Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    I'm trying to figure this one out, too. So far, I've learned (please correct any mistakes!) that the steps are as follows:

    1. As root, "rm /dev/pilot " -- the existing file points to a serial port. If you want to know which port that is, you can check it first, by "ls -al /dev/pilot"

    2. Create a new symbolic link: "ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

    3. Change the permissions on the file: "chmod 666 /dev/pilot"

    Then I run into trouble. I THINK the issue is that the usb module for the Palm, visor.o, I believe, isn't loaded into the kernel. What I've been told is that "modprobe visor.o" should do that. But with or without the full path name to visor.o, Debian won't install that module. So I don't know if I have the wrong module name or the wrong installation process. Anybody?

    P.S. I do know that the hardware works, as the same machine successfully synched under Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 WS.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    Next day. While waiting for some advice on getting the USB port to work, I tried to sync my M505 on a serial port. And it hung on the "Identifying user" screen, eventually timing out. A cursory Internet search brought up similar problems, resolved by updating pilot-link. However, I have tried "apt-get install pilot-link" to get the report that it is the most current available (0.11., as is jpilot (0.99.7).

    Same problem with KPilot -- gets no farther than "Identifying user." I did correctly enter User ID in the KPilot screen (Settings, Configure KPilot, Pilot User = the user on my Palm).

    So now the problem is not just that USB won't sink; neither will the serial port.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    I still don't know why it didn't work on the serial port. I plugged in the serial cradle to another serial port (luckily, I had two), and rm /dev/pilot, then ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/pilot. When I started JPilot after that, I got a "press Hotsync now or kill nnnnnn" -- so I type "kill nnnnn" in a terminal window, and it is now synching. VERY slowly, though, a "slow sync."

    I can muck about with this some more, but right now, this is the only serious flaw with this distribution. A big one, though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I/ve been using 'coldsync' - apparently some change in the transfer protocol used by palms from OS 4 onwards but apparently a problem with the palm IIIc I have and OS 3.5.3

    This info might be a little bit out of date. Do a 'man coldsync' for instructions how to use it but for example to tranfer a file to the palm:-

    coldsync -p /dev/ttyS0 -mr foo.PDB

    I seem to remember this works with IR device also, when I tried it.

    Stu.....

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5
    -ROOT in shell
    -# cd /dev
    -# ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 pilot
    -# ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 palm
    -# ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 visor
    -#modconf
    -select "kernel/drivers/usb/serial"
    -select "visor"
    -(commando) "options visor vendor=0xXXXX product=0xXXXX"
    (XXXX with your hardware series, you can see them running "usbview" and pushing sync botton)

    You can do by hand by editing
    /etc/modules.conf
    options visor vendor=0xXXXX product=0xXXXX
    but it could not work or erease it when your pc do an "update-modules"

    - At last you must "reinitiate" your pc

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by pc
    You can do by hand by editing
    /etc/modules.conf
    options visor vendor=0xXXXX product=0xXXXX
    but it could not work or erease it when your pc do an "update-modules"

    - At last you must "reinitiate" your pc
    You would put that line in the /etc/modutils/aliases or create a visor file in the /etc/modutils directory then put the line in it, after saving the file run the update-modules to have the information entered in the modules.conf to be used on the next boot. Now ever time update-modules runs the information will continue to be entered into the modules.conf for use.

Similar Threads

  1. Syncing with Palm Tunsgten
    By Gros104 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
  2. Pda syncing issues! (palm not found!)
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 02:03 AM
  3. Klaus can make money with Palm editition
    By Eshnet.net in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
  4. PocketPC syncing with SynCE and patching the kernel driver.
    By VeeDubb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
  5. interrupt handler -not syncing
    By sminotti in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers picture

Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers

$1352.99



Commodore Amiga 1020 5.25

Commodore Amiga 1020 5.25" External Floppy Drive Not Tested Parts Only

$199.99



Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive - Not Tested No Returns picture

Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive - Not Tested No Returns

$79.99



Commodore Amiga 1000, Keyboard, Tank Mouse, RAM Expansion, Tested, Working picture

Commodore Amiga 1000, Keyboard, Tank Mouse, RAM Expansion, Tested, Working

$599.00



Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested  picture

Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested

$74.99



Amiga Picasso II RTG Graphics Card for Amiga 2000 3000 And 4000 picture

Amiga Picasso II RTG Graphics Card for Amiga 2000 3000 And 4000

$324.99



Commodore Amiga 500 in box NTSC with mouse and power supply 512k picture

Commodore Amiga 500 in box NTSC with mouse and power supply 512k

$340.00



Amiga 500 AdRAM 540 1.5MB trapdoor memory picture

Amiga 500 AdRAM 540 1.5MB trapdoor memory

$45.00



Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000 picture

Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000

$40.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$279.00