Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix on Dell Dimension 4500S promising thus far

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Bay, Northern California
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix on Dell Dimension 4500S promising thus far

    After completing # knx-hdinstall, I am pleased when I do a # lsusb -v , my HP PhotoSmart 7350 USB printer, my HP CD-Writer 8200, my digital camera flash card on a USB card holder attached to a USB hub are all detected. I suppose I am not too concerned with gtkam and gphoto2 as long as I can read and write to the flash card which is recognized as /dev/sda1. Took me 4 hours to reinstall cups and the foomatic drivers + the ppd file from linux printing and I finally got the HP PhotoSmart 7350 (/dev/usb/lp0) to print consistently using cups. Also XFree86 4.3 is working very well and in fast 3-D accelerated mode for my Intel 845 on board video chip. So far so good. ''

    Currently I am using either Blackbox or Gnome Two point Three which I compiled from source on to this Knoppix box because KDE does not work so good for me using a German keyboard; whereas Blackbox and Gnome 2.3 loads the US keyboard; and I like Blackbox and Gnome anyway.

    Now for my problem. Jpilot does not recognize my USB Palm Tungsten which should be residing on /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 or thereabouts - I know from previous experience that neither Slackware 9 nor Redhat 9 have this problem and recognized /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 right away after tweaking permissions for the normal user. # lsusb -v does not show anything either. Does anyone have an Idea on how to get Jplot to work with my USB cradle?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    I installed Knoppix 3.3 (I think! -- it was the November 2003 version, but I'm writing from another machine) on a Dell machine, 512 megs of RAM. I tried to synch through Jpilot both before and after distribution upgrade. I made a new symlink from /dev/ttyUSB1 to /dev/pilot, and chmod 666 /dev/pilot. But lsmod showed that no visor module was loaded in the kernel.

    When I tried "modprobe visor.o" -- even WITH the full path to visor.o -- I got a message something like "can't find that."

    So now I have TWO questions.

    1. How do I get Knoppix to sync my M505 Palm via my USB port? I have successfully done so under Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. So the hardware works.

    2. How come modprobe doesn't want to load the module?

Similar Threads

  1. Dell-PC (Dimension 8400) doesn't boot
    By hj.geiss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
  2. Booting to Knoppix on a Dell Dimension 8200
    By rons1961 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 12:31 AM
  3. Dell Dimension quandary
    By level in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:39 AM
  4. NEED YOUR HELP (DELL DIMENSION 4550)!!!
    By H-Makro in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM
  5. Knoppix won't boot on Dell Dimension 4550
    By Anodos in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$490.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$325.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99