Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: E: Broken packages + xlib6g

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    28

    E: Broken packages + xlib6g

    Hi,

    I need the package xlibs6g to install a .deb package of my disk and when I try I get

    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    xlib6g: Depends: xlibs but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages

    "Of course", when I make apt-get install xlibs I get

    xlibs is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

    then I try with

    root > dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/xlib6g
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xlib6g (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/xlib6g

    I wrote per hand some new sources in the sources.list but it doesn't work...

    any idea?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: E: Broken packages + xlib6g

    Quote Originally Posted by pau

    any idea?

    thanks
    You need to get a version of the program (what is it BTW?) you want to install that is built for either testing or unstable the one you are trying to install is built for stable so is trying to pull in libraries from that branch and will not install as you have found out.

    Code:
    >$ apt-cache policy xlib6g
    xlib6g:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 4.1.0-16woody3
      Version Table:
         4.1.0-16woody3 0
            500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
         4.1.0-16woody1 0
            500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    28

    E: Broken packages

    Hi Stephen,

    thanks for your answer. When I write it I get

    root > apt-cache policy xlib6g
    xlib6g:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 4.2.1-12.1jds2
    Version Table:
    4.2.1-12.1jds2 0
    500 http://ftp.acc.umu.se gnome2.2/ Packages
    4.2.1-3.bunk.10 0
    500 http://www.fs.tum.de woody/bunk-1/main Packages
    4.2.1-0woody1 0
    500 http://people.debian.org woody/x421/ Packages
    4.1.0-16woody3 0
    500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    4.1.0-16woody1 0
    500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages

    How do I get this version? Do I have to add one os these lines to sources.list? If so, which header? deb ... stable? And what it this 500? I get there wsources.listill be a malformed line if I just add it like this... I mean: How would the line look like in sources.list?

    thanks,

    Pau

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    28

    answer + question to Stephen, broken packages

    Hi again...

    sorry for that, but I think something went wrong... my question disappeared...

    I was saying that I did like you said and I get

    root > apt-cache policy xlib6g
    xlib6g:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 4.2.1-12.1jds2
    Version Table:
    4.2.1-12.1jds2 0
    500 http://ftp.acc.umu.se gnome2.2/ Packages
    4.2.1-3.bunk.10 0
    500 http://www.fs.tum.de woody/bunk-1/main Packages
    4.2.1-0woody1 0
    500 http://people.debian.org woody/x421/ Packages
    4.1.0-16woody3 0
    500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    4.1.0-16woody1 0
    500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages

    What doe it mean? Do I have to include one of these lines to sources.list? If so, which are he headers? I mean is it deb .... stable ... ? What is this 500? I cannot include it, there will be a broken line... I think

    thanks!

    Pau

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: answer + question to Stephen, broken packages

    Quote Originally Posted by pau
    Hi again...

    sorry for that, but I think something went wrong... my question disappeared...

    I was saying that I did like you said and I get

    root > apt-cache policy xlib6g
    xlib6g:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 4.2.1-12.1jds2
    Version Table:
    4.2.1-12.1jds2 0
    500 http://ftp.acc.umu.se gnome2.2/ Packages
    4.2.1-3.bunk.10 0
    500 http://www.fs.tum.de woody/bunk-1/main Packages
    4.2.1-0woody1 0
    500 http://people.debian.org woody/x421/ Packages
    4.1.0-16woody3 0
    500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    4.1.0-16woody1 0
    500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages

    What doe it mean? Do I have to include one of these lines to sources.list? If so, which are he headers? I mean is it deb .... stable ... ? What is this 500? I cannot include it, there will be a broken line... I think

    thanks!

    Pau
    I do not think I was clear enough in my first post you are trying to install stable packages on a mixed testing/unstable system it will not work you need packages built for either testing or unstable. I take it since you have Gnome sources that you have added this is the program you are tying to install I believe that Gnome is already at least 2.2 as it is in testing so why are you not trying to install it from there?? The 500 is the pin priority for the packages the higher the number the more likely it will be installed above any other package the settings are contained in the /etc/apt/preferences file it is not necessary to include it in any command it is a priority indicator for the package system only.

    Code:
    >$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
    Package: *
    Pin: release testing
    Pin-Priority: 900
    
    Package: *
    Pin: release unstable
    Pin-Priority: 600

Similar Threads

  1. 3.6: unp broken?
    By probono in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM
  2. Broken packages?
    By muczy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:38 PM
  3. Removing broken packages in dselect/dpkg
    By leecming in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 06:42 AM
  4. atp-get broken
    By Jux in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
  5. apache-dev -> broken packages
    By danielgarcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-76E2T0 94-100% Health

$207.00



Samsung PM43H 43

Samsung PM43H 43" Commercial Display READ

$300.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung Galaxy 9.6'' Tablet - E SM-T560NU - Black - 16GB Gray | For Parts picture

Samsung Galaxy 9.6'' Tablet - E SM-T560NU - Black - 16GB Gray | For Parts

$35.99