Can somebody help me with some information about the next question; i need to secure my computer in someway because it is showing my computer name, IP and provider etc. How can i make sure i am not in danger of beeing `attacked` by a virus etc.?????
![]()
Can somebody help me with some information about the next question; i need to secure my computer in someway because it is showing my computer name, IP and provider etc. How can i make sure i am not in danger of beeing `attacked` by a virus etc.?????
![]()
Turn off and unplug your computer.
If you are really concerned, burry your computer underground too.
- A
You mean that i am concerned wthout reason ?! Got it!!!
![]()
I am only concerned about the fact that in the past i did use ms windows and allmost everyday i had to use my virus programme and update weekly...........
Thanks
if it is a HDD install you could add iptablesscript that blocks everything you do not want, that is it is a firewall.
guarddog and guidedog, kmyfirewall, knetfilter and a several others can help you do the config.
You can do this even if it's running from CD too.
- A
or you can not worry about it, there are very few linux viruses, and the risk of people picking up your IP address and scanning for vunerabilities are slim to none. Linux is very secure, you shouldn't have much worrying to do.
Originally Posted by OErjan
thankx man this is what i was waithing for .....
![]()
That has to be the worst piece of advice I've ever seen offered. If you're online you're going to get scanned. And you're in just as much danger with Linux as Windows, I can see you've never had to secure a server. Lets take a quick look at a default Knoppix HDD installation with nmap:Originally Posted by false-hopes
dswan@genomics[dswan] nmap -sT ivpcp032 [ 5:41PM]
Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on ivpcp032 (XX.XX.XX.XX):
(The 1587 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port State Service
22/tcp open ssh
25/tcp open smtp
53/tcp open domain
80/tcp open http
111/tcp open sunrpc
443/tcp open https
631/tcp open ipp
718/tcp open unknown
993/tcp open imaps
995/tcp open pop3s
1011/tcp open unknown
3128/tcp open squid-http
10082/tcp open amandaidx
10083/tcp open amidxtape
If I had all those ports open on a server, I would expect trouble. That's awful, and Knoppix when its installed needs locking down HARD. The fastest, simplest way for a new user to configure a nice tight set of iptables rules is to use a script which will generate them automatically. I personally swear by NARC as it takes 5 minutes to install and set up and locks your machines down tight. Get it from here : http://www.knowplace.org/netfilter/narc.html
Well if you are going to give advice at least be truthful about it. Those ports are not open after an install you have upgraded the install without removing the servers and they have been started you because you have accepted the default Debian scripts instead of keeping the Knoppix ones.Originally Posted by Bukowski
I wasn't being untruthful, I actually had no idea that was the case. Yes I did select all the debain package defaults on upgrade, and its perfectly possible that MANY other people will do the same simply because they won't actually understand the choices being offered (I was trying to "de-knoppixify" my installation) so I think the point is valid. I was objecting to the comment that Linux is somehow inherently secure, and after 9 years of using it I think that assuming your installation is secure out of the box is the biggest mistake anyone can make.Originally Posted by Stephen

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105
$19.95