Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: can't Ping in Root Console to update packages

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35

    can't Ping in Root Console to update packages

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto

    I was following the insturctions, I restarted and remount the drive to get rid of some errors. The dev null one that prevents you from chrooting. Anyways I mounted the drive again after restart and chrooted.

    I then mounted the proc part for internet
    mount -t proc /proc proc

    I tried piing google with ping google.com and god unknown host.

    I use cable internet with a linksys router.

    I don't know what to put into the resolv.conf file, it's the same as the one thats working to let me post here while I'm trying to figure this out.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35
    Also, I can't remove stuff

    apt-get remove <wine>
    bash: systax error near unexpected token `newline'


    I'm new to bash, very very new.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    13

    quit out of the root shell

    quit the root shell then open it again

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    29
    did you add your DNS to the

    /etc/resolv.conf?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35

    Re: quit out of the root shell

    Quote Originally Posted by pythonholumm
    quit the root shell then open it again
    If I do that I have to re-chroot, is that normal??

    Quote Originally Posted by sbkryan
    did you add your DNS to the

    /etc/resolv.conf?
    DNS?
    I don't know what that is.
    ALSO, I can't edit it anyways, it doesn't let me save, am I to open it inside the root shell or in Konquerer/kwrite?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    29
    if you mounted the new filesystem using

    mount -rw /dev/hda* /mnt/hda*

    the * being woteva partion your using - also the a may be b depending on how many hard disks you have

    once you have mounted the filesystem you are editing you need to chroot into it

    chroot /mnt/hda*/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    you then need to mount the proc

    mount -t proc /proc proc

    once you have done this you will need to add your Domain Name Server(DNS) to the /etc/resolv.conf

    If your computer is within a network then your Network Administrator will know the IP address for the DNS. If its a computer at home that is directly connected to the internet you will more than likely need to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for your DNS IP Address

    If it a home computer network just use the IP Address of the computer which is connected to the internet

    to add it to the /etc/resolv.conf type:-

    vi /etc/resolv.conf
    then press insert
    type nameserver IP of DNS
    press ESC
    type :wq

    this will edit the file using a txt editor vi

    to check it is there use step 1 to access the file then you should see the nameserver you typed

    press ESC and type :q

    ~~~~TRY THIS FIRST~~~~

    to test to see if you have an internet connection at all while in the chroot enviroment

    ping 216.239.59.99

    that is an IP Address for www.google.com if you successfully recieve replies then the fault is defiently with your DNS address.

    hope it helps

    Ryan

Similar Threads

  1. the Knoppix special packages is too older,why not update it?
    By ecserver in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 01:25 PM
  2. Update packages in next Knoppix release!
    By KnightPusher in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 06:48 PM
  4. User can Ping but can't Dig - Root works fine - any help?
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM
  5. Failing to update packages post hdd install
    By todsr1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01