Quote Originally Posted by Dosmaen
Hello! Knoppix is awesome! There have been a few problems I've had, one is that Chronium goes extremely slowly, and another, how would I go about installing RPMS? I'm trying to take a peek into Adonthell, and I need to know the root password. Thanks for your time!

Oh yeah, my system specs for helping me with Chronium, an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200, P3 800mhz(;_, and 256mb of memory.
Dosmaen,

Looks like three querries:
(1) Chronium runs slow...
(2) Root password...
(3) Installing RPMS.


Possible answers, from what I know...
(#1) I had a "cheap" motherboard mounted video card, that "shared" memory with my system memory - Chronium ran slower than a rock rolls uphill... I ended up getting a AGP GeForce4, with 64meg of memory on the board... This didn't help, until Stephen pointed me to the drivers/modules that needed to be installed to use that card. After that, I haven't found an action, or arcade, game that doesn't run a lot faster now.

(#2) No Root, or SuperUser, password is given in the Live CD. If you install Knoppix to a hard drive, during the install, it asks for you to set one up. But, if you view the Knoppix CD, you will find a document on "Security" that explains why no ROOT password was set up in Knoppix, on the CD boot... To get a root password, temporarily, you can open a shell (the icon that runs allong the bottom of the screen, looks like a monitor with a shell in front of it)...

In the shell, do the following:
su
passwd

The first command will "make" you root, and since no password is active for root, you just "become" root (in that shell)
The second command is what will change the current users password (since you did a "su", you would thereby be changing the "root" password) for this session...

Explanation of "for this session":
Since you are running off the CD, nothing will be retained from this boot to the next boot, UNLESS - you save your configurations, and/or, use a persistant home...

If my memory serves me correctly - if you set up a root password on this boot, don't save your config or have a persistant home setup, then when you shutdown and then reboot into the Knoppix CD again - nothing will be retained from your previous boot - this includes the root password being setup. (you might want to do a search in knoppix.net for "root password" - tons of postings already exist, in this forum, on this topic)

(#3) Not usre if you know this, so, if you do, humor me... Knoppix is based on Debian - Debian is another "flavor" of Linux - Debian using ".deb" packages for installing software, libs, utiilities, etc... - and lastly - apt-get is used to view, search, install, remove, update, and upgrade these ".deb" packages and software. From what I know... RPMS (or RPM's) are used in RedHat??? Or is it Mandrake??? Never the mind, You might want to see if you can find what you are looking for in a "apt-get" instead of the RPMS form. {???]

Hopefully this helps, (my flame retarded suit is in for "previous" "encounters" [giggle])
Cuddles