Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia drivers after hard drive install

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    similar symlink for Speedtouch USb on Knoppix Live

    Hi robelanator,

    I'm a noob to Linux and have been skeptical for years of the OS just because of the seemingly impossible driver installations for Usb modems. If I can get this running then i might consider actually installing Debian on a Hard Drive again.

    You suggested using a symlink to install the NVIDIA driver any ideas how to do a similar "make install" on a live version of knoppix for Speedtouch Usb drivers?
    What would I have to symlink and where?

    the errors i've been getting when trying to "make install"
    are
    /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file '/usr/local/sbin/modem_run': Read-only file system

    which I understand is normal cause I'm using the Live knoppix off the CD.
    But I really want to get this working without having to install to the hardrive.

    I was using the install procedures found at :
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55063

    and my drivers where downloaded on my windows formated HD which suprisingly automounted when I booted from the knoppix CD.
    I set the read and write permissions on that HD drive but "make install" which is part of the "speedtouchconf.sh" seems to want to install to the CD by default.

    I successfully Configured the Software, Built the SpeedTouch Driver, but could not install obviously due to the my using LIVE knoppix.

    Can you or anybody else help me please?

    My willingness to use linux hangs in the balance.

    Thanks
    Sam

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pirna, Germany
    Posts
    1

    no screens found...

    Hi,

    thanks for wiriting us this great Howto. Everything worked fine until i restarted the computer and XFree couldnt start up. It said "No Screen(s) found".
    Do you have an idea how to fix this problem?

    (Knppix 3.4, Kernel 2.4.26, nvidia drivers v1.0-4191, nVidia Geforce 2 MX)

    Thanks,
    Götz

  3. #43
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Have you edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?
    change "nv" to "nvidia" in Section "Device"
    comment out or delete Load "GLcore" and Load "dri" in Section "Module".


  4. #44
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    Thanks for writing the howto, but I can't get it to work with the 2.6.7 kernel, I used the
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
    I installed the 2.6.7.2 kernel header with synaptic made a symlink
    I edited the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    I closed x went into the console and made the symlink
    ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.7-1 /usr/src/linux
    I also did
    export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
    then
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
    It wanted to install kernel headers(i think from their site)
    It could no precompiled kernel(or something like that)) found.
    It also complained still about the gcc compiler (Also when done ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.7-1 /usr/src/linux or not)

    Whatever I tried several other possibility's to get the driver installed including new
    reinstallations It really drives me nuts.

  5. #45

  6. #46
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    No doesn't work Tried the whole thing with offcourse change where is written 2.6.6 to
    2.6.7 etc etc, really everything seems to work fine, compiling etc, but when I restart
    It say s can't load NVIDIA module and get a nice loggin prompt.
    There must be something different when using the Knoppix3.4 knoppix26 and hd install.

  7. #47
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Since you already compile your kernel, your kernel header should be there.
    Get a new nvidia driver from: http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-6111-pkg1.run

    Then get out from kde to command line screen and run:
    export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run

    or you could try kano's script:
    http://kanotix.com/files/install-ker...rce-vanilla.sh
    http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-6111-debian.sh
    Run install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh first, follow by install-nvidia-6111-debian.sh.

  8. #48
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    No didn't work eather then tried kanotix script after a new install.
    It hopefully started with vanilla script executing downloading installing and ended with:
    cp: cannot stat 'kernel-headers-2.6.7/include' :Unknown file or map
    finished
    Needlles to say that the 6111 script didn't work after it als.
    Maybe when I find time I will try Kanotix still, to give it a try thanks for the links.

  9. #49
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    No didn't work eather then tried kanotix script after a new install.
    It hopefully started with vanilla script executing downloading installing and ended with:
    cp: cannot stat 'kernel-headers-2.6.7/include' :Unknown file or map
    finished
    Needlles to say that the 6111 script didn't work after it also.
    Maybe when I find time I will try Kanotix still, to give it a try thanks for the links.

    Oeps double post

  10. #50
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    So I tried Kanotix and yes worked directly, still wondering why it doesn't work on the knoppix 3.4 anyway thanks a lot for the answers :P

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. NVIDIA quick install HOWTO
    By lars in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 10:56 AM
  2. nvidia drivers with kernel 2.6.6 howto (resolved)
    By Yakumo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 05:07 PM
  3. Howto install nvidia driver with kernel 2.6.5
    By Gozar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 08:03 PM
  4. Would like to install Nvidia drivers in 2.6.5
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
  5. Installing NVIDIA drivers HOWTO
    By kelmo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 09:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$20.59



Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power picture

Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power

$109.99



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99



Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air picture

Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air

$8.99



Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter  A1344 ~ FREE S/H picture

Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter A1344 ~ FREE S/H

$12.99



OEM Genuine For Apple MacBook Air Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter Charger A1436 NEW picture

OEM Genuine For Apple MacBook Air Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter Charger A1436 NEW

$26.79



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25 picture

Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25

$32.29



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99