-
Junior Member
registered user
Boot-Up error kernel BUG at filemap.c:81!...
I had up until recently, Linux and Windows working fine on my machine - Lilo was boot manager. I performed some updates for linux and thats where that fun ended.
I am now recieving on boot-up of linux an error. Sometimes my machine gets as far as logging in to linux and sometimes it doesnt. Either way my machine freezes and I usually recieve an error saying "kernel BUG at filemap.c:81! blah blah blah"
Windows boots fine, works fine.
I have deleted the MBR with both DOS and linux commands and formatted numerous times to no avail.
any ideas?
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you run fsck to see if the linux partition is ok? This seems to be a reference to filemap.c, line 81, if you know how to debug or write a program. If you don't, you'll either need to recompile your kernel (this file is usually part of the kernel), and/or if this was a recent install, reinstall linux. Either way, I don't know how else to help you troubleshoot this the easy way.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Still cannot re-install knoppix or boot-up knoppix...
Back to Winblows2k on primary and free slave...
When 3.4 comes out, and I get myself a copy... do you/anyone think I maybee able to install knoppix again?
Frustrated
-
Junior Member
registered user
Latest update...
Logged into Win2k and connected to computer management. Deleted the slave partition with Knoppix on it and then defragmented...
Managed to fire up my pc with the knoppix cd and it didnt crash or freeze with any eror msg's. Went to re-install knoppix (it only gave me ext2 option or xfs), ext2 made pc crash... Restarted blah blah and managed to install xfs ...
Call me crazy but after that install was done I formatted again and installed RedHat9 then formatted again just for good measure and NOW have Knoppix(Debian) on my HD as a ext3.
I hope this will help? lol any1 in the future if they get a similar issue to what I got.. Dont give up 
FARK WHAT A MISSION
tired.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you try compiling a new kernel to see if that's the problem? If you aren't familiar with that process, you can apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.5-(your arch) and edit /etc/lilo.conf and update the bootblock file using dd. That would install debian's precompiled kernel, but it may not be optimized. Debian does go thru the effort to make sure it shouldn't give you any problems, and it's generally better this way than having to reinstall linux. (Btw, my first reaction when i ran into problems was to blow away linux and reinstall it, did that about 5 times before I finally quit doing that and started looking for solutions without having to resort to that.) The filemap error you got was the result of a corrupted or tainted kernel. That's why I suggested compiling a new one (kind of hard without an install to do it from but not impossible if you booted from the cd and chrooted to the install and compiled that way.)
Similar Threads
-
By Bones85 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:16 AM
-
By dinacre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
-
By KnoppiXRuleZ in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 10:02 PM
-
By Trav763 in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-25-2003, 03:41 AM
-
By Trav763 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98