-
HD Install - Root Password?
I just finished a HD Install and even though the installation script asked me for my root password, that password only works when I log-in as knoppix. If I try to log-in as root, or try a "su root" in order to modify the config files, and enter that password, the system rejects it.
Is there a default password for root? How else can I get root privilege?
Thanks
-
Re: HD Install - Root Password?

Originally Posted by
jvila
I just finished a HD Install and even though the installation script asked me for my root password, that password only works when I log-in as knoppix. If I try to log-in as root, or try a "su root" in order to modify the config files, and enter that password, the system rejects it.
Is there a default password for root? How else can I get root privilege?
Thanks
Something got screwed up during your install. To reset to root password: boot from a Knoppix Live CD, open the file /etc/shadow on your hard drive (not the RAMDrive that Knoppix creates!), and the first line should look something like this:
root:$1$b3F32gEp$IYclSUEICZUlfQiDgHC1C0:12092:0:99 999:7:::
Everything between the first ":" and second ":" is your encrypted root password - delete it. Then save the file and reboot your system from the hard drive.
You should be able to login as root without a password now BUT MAKE SURE YOU SET ONE AFTER YOU LOGIN!!! After logging in, open up a Konsole shell and type:
Oh, BTW, I believe Knoppix will mount your HDD as read-only by default so you'll probably have to unmount the drive (right click on it in KDE, then click "Unmount") then change the permissions (right click on the drive in KDE, then click "Properties" then go to the "Permissions" tab) then remount the drive.
Hope that made sense!
Similar Threads
-
By Cuddles in forum The Lounge
Replies: 13
Last Post: 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
-
By jester600 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
-
By Ziandabo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 08:01 AM
-
By VBgod in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2003, 10:09 PM
-
By mandingo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 04:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$184.95

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4
$1649.99

16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25
$17.99

G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO
$419.95

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US
$3.95

USB3.0 SD Card Reader for PC Micro SD Card to USB Adapter for Camera Memory C
$3.69