Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: booting from knoppix iso file?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19

    booting from knoppix iso file?

    knoppix is a cd-rom bootdisk... I have a laptop (toshiba portege 3440) without cd-rom. So there is no way to boot it with knoppix.

    I want to do a hard drive install of knoppix.

    currently, the laptop has winxp and I have the knoppix iso stored at c:\.

    Is there a floppy boot disk I can use that can read fat32 partician then mount the knoppix iso so I can start knoppix and do a hd installation?

    The solution may be useful for someone who doesn't want to watse a cd to burn knoppix iso.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66

    Ummm.

    The iso can be run from the harddrive, but I can't remeber how. you can also write it to a flash medium (provided it has enough space) and boot from that in most desktops (need to choose *boot from usb* or the *support legacy device over usb* option, and not 100%), but I haven't found a Notebook to check this option out on, or had a large enough Flash media.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: Ummm.

    Quote Originally Posted by zentu
    The iso can be run from the harddrive, but I can't remeber how. you can also write it to a flash medium (provided it has enough space) and boot from that in most desktops (need to choose *boot from usb* or the *support legacy device over usb* option, and not 100%), but I haven't found a Notebook to check this option out on, or had a large enough Flash media.
    No, the contents of the iso file can be used like that but I don't think it works with the iso itself. In linux boxes you can mount the iso using loopback and copy what you need but I don't know how you'd go about to do the same thing in windos.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19
    I was able to solve my problem. Here is where I got the info:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4825

    It is call a poor's man install.

Similar Threads

  1. File recovery / File permissions help needed?
    By sepekte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
  2. Writing 2 windows file systems after booting from Hard disk
    By Mr_White in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
  4. knoppix .config file
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 07:15 PM
  5. lilo booting "file not found"
    By hickorynut01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00