Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Firestarter

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Firestarter

    How do I deny ICMP Echo Requests in the Firestarter firewall? The IP is given by my ISP (DHCP is enabled).

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    Edit > Preferences... > ICMP Filtering?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    ICMP filtering

    ICMP filtering was/is already disabled before I posted my question. I don't get it...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    If I correctly understand what you are saying:
    How do I deny ICMP Echo Requests in the Firestarter firewall?
    What you want to do is to ENABLE ICMP filtering & then check the "ECHO" box.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Your my here Max!

    Your my hero Max! I now get a perfect TruStealt rating on grc.com
    I find it odd that I have to enable "something" to disable it. As you all probably have figured out now networking isn't my speciality

    Next question I hope you'll answer is why I deliberately have to disable port 67 and 68? I learned that those ports are the Bootstrap Protocol Server and Client. I have to learn how to disable that

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    Glad to help. The reason that you have to enable something to disable it is that you are enabling filtering which is actually another word for blocking in this context.

    As to why you deliberately have to disable port 67 and 68 I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone else can tell you that but I can tell you how to disable any port with Firestarter. Click on the "Rules" tab next to the "Hits" tab. Select "Blocked Ports". Right click on it & select "New rule" at the top of the list then just enter the port number that you want to block. Click "OK" & it should work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Disabling bootstrap

    Thank you for the reply I already figured out how to disabling the ports otherwise I wouldn't get a perfect TruStealth rating. I'm just wondering what daemon/app/ISP(?) that's requiring it.
    Port 67 is closed but visible (ie. responds so it's not stealth) and port 68 is wide open!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Disabling bootstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0wflake
    Thank you for the reply I already figured out how to disabling the ports otherwise I wouldn't get a perfect TruStealth rating. I'm just wondering what daemon/app/ISP(?) that's requiring it.
    Port 67 is closed but visible (ie. responds so it's not stealth) and port 68 is wide open!
    Well a quick google on port 67 and port 68 seems to suggest DHCP so apt-get --purge remove dhcp3-server should do it or you may want to go to Kano's script page and get the remove-servers.sh make it exectuable and run it to get rid of most of the servers included so they will not get started as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble Apt-getting Firestarter
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM System x3850 X5 (7145AC1) Server w/ 2x Xeon X760, 32GB +Storage, 2x PSU picture

IBM System x3850 X5 (7145AC1) Server w/ 2x Xeon X760, 32GB +Storage, 2x PSU

$299.99