Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you simply

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.25-1-*

or, if you wanted NVidia drivers,

apt-get install nvidia-kernel-image-2.4.25-1.*

replacing * with 386, 586tsc, 686, k6, or k7, depending on your CPU? (Looks like the NVidia kernel also requires the "nvidia-kernel-common" package, but one would think the Debian package manager would install the dependencies.)

Point being, there's an "lm-sensors-2.4.25-1-*" package and an "alsa-modules-2.4.25-1-*" package (where * = same as above) all ready to go, no compilation from source necessary. (You can search the Debian package list for "alsa" and "lm-sensors" and "kernel", etc. for more info.)

And you don't have to uninstall your current 2.4.24-xfs kernel; just adjust your /boot/grub/menu.lst (assuming you're using GRUB) to default to the new kernel.

I installed ALSA on Debian Woody (using kernel 2.4.16) I did have to fiddle with configuration files, as explained on ALSA's web site, specific to my sound card. Even so, doesn't that sound easier than compiling from source? (I couldn't really test lm-sensors; it installed fine but my mobo doesn't have sensors on it.)

That does it -- I'm going to have to nuke Red Hat off my K6 and install Debian Sarge, so I can dink around with this.