Nish,

I think I got (about the same, just driver/card name changes) about the same error messages, I think...

I just kept going... I did the compile of i2c, then lm-sensors, then the changes made to init.d, the loading of them, and then the sensors config...

I (also) did a reboot after doing all of this, considering they wanted some of these things loaded, and that I (also) did the "manual" loading of these modules, as well, I wanted to ENSURE that they auto-load on a boot (this is a fall-back attituide from Windows days - you ALWAYS rebooted after installing ANYTHING - I think for two reasons -=- (1) was to ensure that whatever was installed, actually got itself loaded correctly on a boot, and (2) to ENSURE that Windows would even BOOT after installing something (which many times a new installed program would "stomp" all over something else, making boot impossible, and causing me to reach "involuntarily" for my Win98 Emergency Boot Floppy, so I could "find out what went wrong"...

I have become (almost) a Guru in Win98 - having a previous system that would refuse to run Setup.Exe for any program, I got very good at installing from INF files, manually - some of my apprehension in Knoppix, stems from the fact that I have EARNED a "KINGS CROWN" for Windows "tweaking", and I guess, I don't want to give it up -=- sorry, but, as most people, I LIKE to wear my WAR WOUNDS "proudly" on my shoulders

Only thing I can think of Nish is, have you tried reboots at "strategically" placed intervals??? I know, I know, you shouldn't have to reboot in Linux, its a "live" OS, being able to start, stop, and change things "on the fly" - something Windows doesn't do -=- but, this is the only thing I can think of... Maybe, after trying the changes made for i2c, and sensors-detect errors - reboot - and try sensors-detect again - I think I had done it that way...

I know Stephen would "kick me in the rump" for suggesting that you should reboot after inserting something into your kernel - he feels that Knoppix/Linux is "live" and doesn't "require" nor "has to" have a reboot - but my Windows days have always influenced my decisions, and still do, even if I don't have too...

Considering your "errors" in sensors-detect - it appears the i2c-device stuff isn't getting loaded for sensors to find them - I know the docs suggested (for my install) that I "manually" start them, as well as place them where they would be started "automatically" on booting - I am such a stickler on "auto-start" -=- I "always" have to test them first by botting -=- as a side note -=- when you boot, I get a "short" dialog of "i2c" detection at starting up information - but only in the boot screen, not within dmesg output, do you see the same thing when you boot??? I am also not sure, but you gave the output of "i2c" output, did you also do "lm-sensors" compilation as well???

Here is what I did:
compile, make, installing, and add what modifications suggested to any files - for i2c
compile, make, installing, and add what modifications suggested to any files - for lm-sensors
(I am quite sure I then tried sensors-detect - but I think I got the same errors you did)

So, I rebooted, and tried sensors-detect again, after the reboot, and it didn't go without warnings, maybe some errors, but I was able to fire up my sensors program "xsensors", or the "quick start" documentation suggested running, I think it was "sensors" to test the installation out. I then found GKrellm (sp) because it has a better GUI than xsensors.

DON'T GIVE UP NISH - I think you are getting close - Heck, even your output says it FOUND the i2c-dev module -=- I think you know you are getting close too - hence your attituide to keep trying it, I think it may just turn out to be something like: i2c needs to get kicked in the rump twice in the install, before lm-sensors sees it, and then sensors-detect needs to do "something" before it kicks in... (kinda like the secret order of things -=- press X twice, click the mouse once here, twice there, move it to the lower right, then to the upper left, turn around in a room exactly 6 feet by 6 feet, twice, first time in clockwise rotation, then in counter-clockwise rotation, sit down in your chair, stand up, then sit down again, pretend to press the spacebar, but "very quickly" before the OS realizes that you aren't going to press the spacebar, you press the "G" key instead, then wait exactly 31.5 seconds, and stare at the "one" blemish in your ceiling paint for another 2.7 seconds, before running "this" program)

OOOPS, almost forget, and while doing all of the above, "Pray to the Ol' Mighty" that it works - sometimes you just got to have "faith"...

I've been lucky on a few things, with Knoppix, but then again, I have had way too many "war wounds" from Windows - and feel tired from the "battle" - Knoppix has its issues, but, from my years of Windows, not as bad... Don't give up Nish, I think the light is visible at the end of the tunnel

Cuddles