Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: wi-fi card SMP question

  1. #1

    wi-fi card SMP question

    I have a dell Truemobile card and a older Presario 1200 laptop. I booted Knoppix and the card was discovered and could ping the gatway and resolve DNS, but I could not ping google or actually surf the web.

    Used another computer, surfed these forums, rebooted with a cheatcode of
    knoppix nosmp.


    Worked great, I am using the card now no problems. But, what is SMP and why did booting wit nosmp work?

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    That's very strage that nosmp would affect your network. SMP stands for symetric multi processor. You would use smp if you have more than one processor. Maybe the use of nosmp was just a coincidence? Will the card deffinitely not work without the nosmp cheat code? BTW, is this card used with some kind of mobile internet service or is it just a generic wireless card? If it's for a mobile service what is it? I would like to know more. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Well, I read your reply and rebooted with out the "nosmp" cheat code and its working perfectly. God only knows why it didn't work the very first time i tried. It was real weird too, because like I said I could ping the gateway and it was resolving DNS, but no packet were making it to the 'net.

    FYI its a k62-500 Presario laptop with a Dell Truemobile 1150 (Oronico) Wi-fi card connecting to a Nomadax Gateway that is wide open.

    I just re-read the thread I was using as a reference (no SMP). Apparently I read the thread wrong and misinteperated what it was saying. O well, what the hell, it works now and I am somewhat smarter because I know what SMP is.

    BTW..

    When it comes up the card is detected as eth0 and when I try to run Airsnort it want wlan0. Is there an easy way to fix this?

    /me scraping egg off my face

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
  2. Wireless Card Not Detected and Hard Drive Question
    By StevoB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
  3. Knoppix / Damn Small Linux PCMCIA network card question.
    By convert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
  4. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
  5. ASUS p4b533 m/b sound card driver/compile question
    By Kurst_Putz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF picture

M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF

$99.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00