-
Senior Member
registered user
Thank you all, especially you, Cuddles. I have been reading the forum awhile and had started looking for your posts aways back. I did feel a certain linuxnoobdom kinship though I sat back and watched and read and read and did I mention read? I do RTFM, too. Trouble is so many distros, kernel flavors and conflicting info. This is where I am tripping up.
I am no longer in IT, I am more graphics employment-wise now and though I have brought up my "linuxdom" with some ex IT coworkers I get no support and in the case of a few individuals where there was mutual respect, they ridicule
and "pshaw". I am the lone linuxer in my crowd
Anyhow, after the two absolute failures of installing lm sensors with apt get, I looked carefully the second try and noted only one error, literally "error 1" and a lousey email to root saying basically it lm sensors needs special devices under /dev. duh Reading through the vast amount of info about lm sensors, I came to the conclusion I should heed the warning not to try compiling against a patched kernel. So, off I began on vanilla (or unpatched) kernel compiling Sunday afternoon. Merrily I did compile, everything went a treat and than I fumbled, stumbled and blew it when asked questions about Lilo. I won't go into the gory details of Sunday night. You can read my post over at Linux questions if you are interested.
Oh, and eco2geek, I cannot tell you why alsa and lm sensors don't work with apt-get. Or why apt get install is so vague (error 1 is real helpful aint it?).
Anyway, I fixed lilo, I have a "vanilla" kernel sitting doing nothing and am scared stiff about trying to compile lm sensors without using apt get even for a foot off the ground (memories of nvidia and alsa haunt me to this day).
And I really still think linux is great and knoppix, to me, has been the most polished distro I have tried. It is the standard I compare all the other distros to that catch my eye. I know it will be a long long time until I can do away with windows. I need the graphics apps that wont work with wine (yes, I have been working on learning gimp and even Karbon14 (which I installed, YAY, me
who needs illustrator or photoshop? not me) but there are oodles of others I needin order to keep earning a lousey living. Living with a foot in two worlds. I will be damned if I go doze XP, with the way I swap my salvaged hardware it will never work. With what I went through with customers trying to get anything to work with it that worked under 98, nope, never. But I am a long, long way from knowing what I am doing with linux (I still spend 90% of my free time in it, though
. Cracking open another beer and thinking about doing a cold, takeitlikeaman, hard compile install of lm sensors (yeah, I will chicken out and have some chocolate)
Similar Threads
-
By Gurgham in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By nofori in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
-
By KH in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N
$1100.00

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99

Dell 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300 288-Pin UDIMM Non-ECC SNPMT9WVC/8G
$110.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH
$649.95

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00