-
Senior Member
registered user
First of all, that is ONE CUTE AVITAR
From the "credit where credit is due" dept., it's by Mark Reidesel, and part of the default background image on Slax-Live, which is another live Linux CD.
First off, I'm not really sure of any benefit(s) you get from installing ALSA over OSS. What are the benefits?
I've compiled and installed ALSA from source twice now on Red Hat (as newer versions came out), so I'm aware of the source code issues you mention. (I installed ALSA because I wanted to run the Soundgarden sequencer.)
But what I really meant was, Debian Woody includes pre-compiled ALSA packages on CD 2, so why wouldn't they exist for Debian Sarge and Sid? After looking through the package list on the Debian web site, the answer to that seems to be that "official" pre-compiled ALSA drivers only exist for specific kernel versions, 2.4.16 and 2.4.25.
There's a page about compiling your own kernel and installing ALSA on Debian here.
I did successfully get ALSA working on Debian Woody using the pre-compiled binaries for kernel 2.4.16 - although I'm probably going to disable it in the init scripts, since OSS works just fine and I want to use kernel 2.4.18. There were some configuration issues I had to manually deal with, however! Oh, well.
Similar Threads
-
By Gurgham in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By nofori in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
-
By KH in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (8 X 2) (Black) - 2 Sticks
$60.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00

Micron and SK hynix RAM 56GB (4x8GB) (2x4GB) see description
$135.00