-
Senior Member
registered user
Not phone support, Cuddles. Worse even. Online. You want to try to "talk" a newbie through cutnpaste in an IM? LMAO. Try sitting up at 2am (after working your day -paying- job with somebody that had chernobyl and never gave a hoot about what a boot disk is
) we made fun of the phone jockeys working from scripts and getting paid. We were the real trenches. The UNpaid community volunteers (and now I am into linux.......hmmmmm) Half my assignments, and my first, was teaching people how to get that porn spread off as their wallpaper when they clicked "set as" instead of "save as" and clearing the most recent document list of "my stepdaughter doing the neighbor's three german shepards". No lie. War stories. Check out the George forums sometime, you'll love them http://chroniclesofgeorge.nanc.com/
But I don't have any regrets about that time, sometimes I bring it up in interviews, sometimes I don't
It is where I learned a lot, enough to get me started that once I read, and learned a lot MORE that I could then make a living at it. I even kept an AOL account byoa for the community aspect of it and the friends I made long after I got a "real" isp and a "real" IT career lmao. Real ISPs turned out to be one local after another who got eaten up by the conglomerates, BTW, but another story. Even today I have kept my old hardearned handle in an AIM (now GAIM) nick and link up often enough that I get to keep it.
Anyhow, the mentality point I was making and you got, for a great majority of users out there, they don't care what is under the hood. They put gas in it: it goes. End of discussion. If it is free, cool. If it's pretty, also cool. And astonishingly enough for some of my customers now, they are intrigued by linux's resistance to viruses and other nuisances.
All perceived "elitism" aside, if it is dumbed down enough for them - will it still be worth it? I dunno. Although a little more documentation on lm sensors is surely needed
Similar Threads
-
By Gurgham in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By nofori in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
-
By KH in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Sophos SG 115 rev.3 Firewall Security Appliance SG1153BAEUS + OPNsense
$85.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$248.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Firewalla Purple SE Cyber Security Firewall Home Business VPN…
$215.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99