Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix & partioning new disk on Maxtor ATA/100 PCI Adap

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix & partioning new disk on Maxtor ATA/100 PCI Adap

    Hello folks,
    I'm posting this here, because I've looked for hours and got nothing but sorta-like answers.

    This question was asked in February by "pepesz" under /viewtopic.php?t=8440. "knoppix can't see disk connected to promise ultra100 tx2", and nobody responded, from what I can see.

    Anyway, I have a new hard disk (Hitachi Deskstar 7K250) that is 82.3GB. My computer is a Compaq Deskpro EP Series with 496MHz Celeron Processor, 256MB RAM, i810 Intel Chipset and currently has a Maxtor Diamondmax 20GB hard disk.

    The Bios is a 686J v.310 updated around 4/2000. Now, this Bios can see the 20GB disk fine (reports 20020MB), but when I put the 7K250 on it only sees 16873MB. This is another wall different from the 32Gig wall, some buffer overrun makes the Bios ignore the first 64GB and it only reports the balance over 64GB, thus 16873. So I called up Hitachi and they said to get an Ultra ATA/100 controller card.

    What I found out: Windows (and the Bios) see the card as a SCSI Mass Storage Device, so even though the 7K250 is a Parallel IDE Ultra ATA/100 Drive Windows (& the Bios) sees the drive as a SCSI drive mounted off of the motherboard, but will be seen as drive C:\ if it is the only one on the computer. However, KNOPPIX sees it as drive /dev/hde (a SCSI drive designation). But qtparted and cfdisk can't mount it!!

    I would like to partition this drive with Knoppix and do a Hard Disk Install. So from what I read there should be a boot parameter that you can give, that will allow Knoppix to mount hde,hdf,hdg drives (especially since the card takes all of the drives off of the motherboard, other than the CDRW and CDROM which is still attached to the motherboard).

    Does anyone know the proper command to write at the BOOT PROMPT? Also if I get Knoppix on the HDD do I need to do anything in Debian to get it to work off of the controller Card?

    Any help would be appreciated. This has turned into a week long project with no end in sight!

    Thanks for your help,
    Ed (e.newed)
    PS:the Maxtor card is a Promise Ultra100 TX2 Card.(they're exactly the same, only the names have changed)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    Any luck finding how to get knoppix/kanotix to 'see' the drives on a Promise Ultra100TX2 card?
    /dev/hde, /dev/hdf, /dev/hdg, /dev/hdh <- can't find or mount them

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5
    Dear Pigwot,
    I almost forgot about this post. What I ended up doing was downloading the Knoppix 3.3 from 2/16/04. I was trying to get the 3.3 version from 9/23/03 to recognise /hde and it wouldn't. The 2/16/04 version recognized the drives immediately.

    Anyway, what I found out in my searching is that the drive /hde must be put in the "fstab" file that runs at startup. What happened was the new version recognized the drives during the detection process and put the lines in the "fstab" file on its own.

    Hope that helps.

    Sincerely,
    e.newed

Similar Threads

  1. Maxtor 120 GB One Touch Backup
    By usaramblinman69 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 02:02 AM
  2. Maxtor SATA support in Knoppix
    By hotrodedmonds in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 09:42 PM
  3. Maxtor SATA support in Knoppix
    By hotrodedmonds in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 02:42 PM
  4. cfdisk and partioning (I know there is already much about it
    By McGyver in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:25 PM
  5. KNOPPIX installer to Windows2000,XP,No partioning
    By patelbhavesh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 05:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$949.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97