Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: need boot diskette, BUT sbm won't work

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    need boot diskette, BUT sbm won't work

    Well, yet another question about 'booting from diskette'.

    Most of the searches on knoppix.net about 'boot from diskette' end up in sbm - 'Smart Boot Manager'.

    I've already tried sbm, a while ago, on one OLD IBM 330 server (IIRC I was trying to boot 'System Rescue CD'). It seems sbm won't recognize SCSI CD-ROMs.

    The knoppix.net FAQ on booting points to 2 resources - first one is a dead link and second one seems to require a Gnoppix CD. So . . . ??

    Summing up: how to boot Knoppix on a machine where:

    - BIOS won't allow CD boot ;
    - SCSI CD-ROM won't let Smart Boot Manager work .

    I hope I'm not just plain out of luck . . .

    sdrubble

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31

    SBM?

    HI , Ive tried SBM, I downloaded it and as of yet I cant figure out how to open it or execute it.
    SBM is supposed to be the answer to booting from a diskett? I cand get my computer to boot from the CD either. Any suggestions? Thanks

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    just a matter of linking the right docs

    Aha !

    Did a little more research and found a solution that works (at least on an IDE box - will try it tomorrow on the old SCSI beast) !

    I also made a couple of WiKi updates, so that fellow noobies will have less ttrouble than I did. Path for arriving at the solution:

    1. http://knoppix.net/docs/
    2. click on _FaqBooting_ link
    3. and arrive at http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqBooting
    4. click on _Preparing a Boot/Root Diskette_ link
    5. and arrive at http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/Pr...oot%20Diskette
    6. click on _http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BootFloppyHowTo_ link
    7. and finally arrive at http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BootFloppyHowTo .

    On this last page I used the _"from KNOPPIX"_ solution. The Windows solution seems OK - I did not try it myself, but made a comment on the page to clarify the actual path to mkfloppy.bat .

    Hope it will be easier for others from now on.

    Cheers

    sdrubble

Similar Threads

  1. Alternativer Boot von USB Festplatte mit Diskette
    By MartinHeuser in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 07:28 PM
  2. How to boot with knopix by using a diskette?
    By grobo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
  3. How do I make boot diskette
    By Escoville in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:28 PM
  4. Boot from CD vs. from diskette
    By ja in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 10:35 PM
  5. Boot diskette needed for Thinkpad 380XD
    By Hellmark in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00 picture

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00

$279.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00