Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What`s wrong with Lilo?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    What`s wrong with Lilo?

    Hello everyone!

    I`ve got a problem with lilo.
    I`ve installed Knoppix v.3.3,and agreed to install lilo.
    When I tried to boot lilo doesn`t even start(I think).
    My PC just boots WinXP as earlier.
    Here is a copy of my lilo.conf .
    I didn`t change anything.

    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb7
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda
    P.s:Sorry if it`s a stupid question. I`m a newbie.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    lilo help

    Hi....you have to make a reference in lilo.conf to show that there is another OS to choose from. First, do you have one hard drive with windows & linux on it? Or do you have 2 separate harddrives with Windows on one and Linux on the other? Below is a copy of your lilo.conf. At the 3rd paragraph, where it says "other", thats where you put "WinXP" or whatever other OS you are running. Then you need to make a reference to what Hard Drive it is on.....I have a separate hard drive for WinXP and Linux. I am not sure what you would do for a single HDD installation. First you must say what your setup is, one HDD or 2. Then look in the Hdd Install forum and you will more than likely find what to put in your lilo.conf.



    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb7
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: What`s wrong with Lilo?

    Quote Originally Posted by diginik
    Hello everyone!

    I`ve got a problem with lilo.
    I`ve installed Knoppix v.3.3,and agreed to install lilo.
    When I tried to boot lilo doesn`t even start(I think).
    My PC just boots WinXP as earlier.
    Here is a copy of my lilo.conf .
    I didn`t change anything.

    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb7
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda
    P.s:Sorry if it`s a stupid question. I`m a newbie.
    You need to reinstall lilo. Boot Knoppix cd and mount the partition you installed knoppix to like so:

    mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7
    chroot /mnt/hdb7
    lilo
    CTRL+D (to leave chroot)

    If it errors then you have a problem w/ /etc/lilo.conf. BTW- DO NOT use the desktop icons to mount your /root partition.

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. LILO installed to wrong MBR?
    By foamrotreturns in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
  3. Wrong MBR for Lilo when using koppix 3.7 HD installer script
    By devellino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 03:16 AM
  4. OK~ what am i doing wrong..
    By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
  5. Don't see what I am doing wrong
    By Jera in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B 2U Rack Server POWER7 3.0GHz 32GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B 2U Rack Server POWER7 3.0GHz 32GB DDR3 No HDD

$429.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99