Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Not working?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9

    Not working?

    I put in the CD and it just runs Windows98...

    Maybe it is because the system is too slow:

    133 MHz
    292MB left of C drive
    32MB RAM

    Is that the problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    check to see if your BIOS is set to boot from a CD. If you can't set it to but you can get it to boot from a floppy Use the Rawrite program included with the cd to make a floppy (you can easily start it by following the directions on the page that starts up when you put the cd in.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9
    How do I edit BIOS on Win98 and XP?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    How's yer patience?

    I can tell you this, I've got a similar system (133, 48MB RAM). Knoppix is going to be SLOW!!! You may want to go investigate Damn Small Linux http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ or as recently recommended to me Flonix http://www.flonix.com/ I've not as of yet used Flonix so I can't say too much about it. DSL is pretty cool though not as cool as Knoppix

    Just for the record, though, your BIOS (sometimes erroneously referred to as CMOS) is not part of the OS. It's part of the motherboard. The BIOS is usually accessed by pressing F1, F2, or DEL. It's different between manufacturers. You can usually change your boot order somewhere in there. But again, I've a similar system and it won't allow the CD ROM as a boot device. You'll have to make a boot floppy.

    I think, if memory serves, there's a program you use from Windows called rawrite2.exe and a boot.img in the /KNOPPIX folder on the CD. I didn't make my boot floppy that way as I used another PC booted to Knoppix. I think, and I'm guessing here, if you copy both items to a folder, navigate to that folder from a command prompt, and do "rawrite2 boot.img a:" without the quotes it should work. I could be mistaken though.

    Lemme know how it goes,
    'Goon

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9
    I made a floppy, and booted it on my newer computer...its works fine...I'm using it now

    Well...I hope its a good choice for beginners...
    NOw all I need to do is learn how to use it(commands...etc.)

    -CyberShadow

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberShadow
    Well...I hope its a good choice for beginners...
    NOw all I need to do is learn how to use it(commands...etc.)

    -CyberShadow
    Some links to help in the effort.


    http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
    http://wireless.ictp.trieste.it/scho...oreLinux/rute/
    http://k12linux.org/netadmin/commands.html
    http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/
    http://www.vim.org/

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    Wow! I got something right! Maybe this linux thing's not so hard after all Either that or I'm lucky...

    In any case, I'm glad you're using Knoppix now. Personally, I'm having fun with it. Though, I'm in your boat vis-a-vis commands et al. I saved the links that Stephen left ya so I can perruse them too

    'Goon

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Good luck CyberShadow!

    Good luck CyberShadow! I'm also a newbie but I'm lovin' Knoppix more and more every day

Similar Threads

  1. Any fix to get USB 2.0 working 3.8.1?
    By rduke15 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
  2. Apt-Get Not Working
    By sakiZ in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 10:33 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
  4. USB not working
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:49 PM
  5. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99